Skip to main content
Topic: Footnotez in quotez (is weird). (Read 5844 times) previous topic - next topic

Footnotez in quotez (is weird).

I suppose this is sort of a feature discussion. Anyway, the behaviour of footnotes in quotes is a bit odd, Really it would make more intuitive sense if the footnote for a quote was contained within the quote itself. At the moment it gets visually disconnected from the quote, and tacked on after the the current post. This doesn't look or feel right.
Master of Expletives: Now with improved family f@&king friendliness! :D

Sources code: making easy front end changes difficult since 1873. :P

Re: Footnotez in quotez (is weird).

Reply #1

Agreed. In fact, I did mention it before, elsewhere, but forgot to open it in its own topic later. This should be tracked and resolved.

Regarding this full quote, is it possible that Elk just check its source from its link and append it as part of the post in its own container, so that it won't be messing the reply's own footnote?

Partial quote should be edited though.

Reply #2

Yes I think partial quotes would be the tricky thing. I'm not sure how much trouble it would be to get this working properly with all possible combinations. I just thought it was worth mentioning in case a good solution is possible.

Reply #3

I tend to prefer footnotes at the end of the message, because the quote is itself part of the message.
If you are reading a book, and a piece is quoted from another book and that quote has a footnote, that footnote, AFAIK, is not added at the end of the quote, but at the end of the page.
Bugs creator.
Features destroyer.
Template killer.

Reply #4

No, the quote is part of an earlier message, See? :D

Reply #5

Really?
Quote from: http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/quotes/a/aliceroose392054.html?src=t_funnyIf you haven't got anything nice to say about anybody, come sit next to me.[1]
Did anyone wrote the text above in a previous message? :P
This is from Alice Roosevelt Longworth
Bugs creator.
Features destroyer.
Template killer.

Reply #6

Quote from: emanuele – Really?
Quote from: http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/quotes/a/aliceroose392054.html?src=t_funnyIf you haven't got anything nice to say about anybody, come sit next to me.[1]
So then you'd say that that footnote should go under this post.
LiveGallery - Simple gallery addon for ElkArte

Reply #7

Quote from: live627 –
To me yes[2].
The only thing I would do is increase a bit the space between the end of the message and the beginning of the footnote.
As improvement, I would consider making the footnote unique in the page, but considering how the parsing works, this would likely be an hell, so I'll be fine with the text repeating...also because it could be argued that quotes should not repeat throughout the page as well, but they are, so let's forget about it. O:-)
Bugs creator.
Features destroyer.
Template killer.

Reply #8

Or just leave its number and link but do remove it from the reply's quote?

Reply #9

What if the quote was from an external source?
What if the quote was from the same topic, but a different page?
What if the quote lost the reference to the previous message?
What if...
The only solution would be to check each and every footnote against the whole bunch of messages in the database to see if it was used before and where. Basically impossible unless you are either google, facebook, github or some other big player.
Bugs creator.
Features destroyer.
Template killer.

Reply #10

Quote from: live627 –

1This is from Alice Roosevelt Longworth
To me yes[1].
The only thing I would do is increase a bit the space between the end of the message and the beginning of the footnote.
As improvement, I would consider making the footnote unique in the page, but considering how the parsing works, this would likely be an hell, so I'll be fine with the text repeating...also because it could be argued that quotes should not repeat throughout the page as well, but they are, so let's forget about it. O:-)
Bugs creator.
Features destroyer.
Template killer.

Reply #11

Quote from: emanuele – What if the quote was from an external source?
What if the quote was from the same topic, but a different page?
What if the quote lost the reference to the previous message?
What if...
The only solution would be to check each and every footnote against the whole bunch of messages in the database to see if it was used before and where. Basically impossible unless you are either google, facebook, github or some other big player.

I kinda don't get this but this somehow conclude that keeping footnote link is impossible. I'm ok with it.

So, if we simply leave the footnote out with no link but just number like in reply #10 is fine with me.
Last Edit: September 24, 2016, 04:21:59 am by ahrasis

Reply #12

Right now we have the footnotes done as named links, so clicking on the note number jumps to the footnote and the return icon in the footnote takes you back to the message.   Just wondering if we should also have them shown on hover over which would allow you to read the footnote in a somewhat less obtrusive way.

Reply #13

I think both might be a bit bloatish. Could be done as an inline spoiler I suppose.

Reply #14

QuoteJust wondering if we should also have them shown on hover over which would allow you to read the footnote in a somewhat less obtrusive way.
I think that's how MediaWiki does it.
LiveGallery - Simple gallery addon for ElkArte