Skip to main content
Topic: Likes Layout (Read 9464 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Likes Layout

Reply #15

You have done a good job Spuds. Just wondering if we can have box on top right of the post saying the no. of likes.

Reply #16

Quote from: Spuds – The behavior did not change, all I did was change from a Star to a Thumb  :'(
I know, I know, I was just babbling. :P
Bugs creator.
Features destroyer.
Template killer.

Reply #17

Quote from: meetdilip – You have done a good job Spuds. Just wondering if we can have box on top right of the post saying the no. of likes.
You mean like we have to PM's and Mentions?  ... I'll give it a try !

ETA: done on this site as a test and feedback
Last Edit: May 16, 2014, 08:54:40 am by Spuds

Reply #19

Thanks for the screenshot, that makes it easier to understand.  Lets see what some folks think about the options right now, not sure which way we should go.

1) Leave as is, simple button text as in  X Likes or Likes: (X)
2) Button with indicator, similar to the other counters on the site (added image so folks don't have to search)
3) Separate the counter from the button  (or in addition to 1) an add a "badge" of some style

Reply #20

I like the way you have them setup Spuds, dilips is nice but not sure about having a big awareness in the post would just be annoying.

Reply #21

Size can always be reduced  :)

Reply #22

Quote from: Spuds – Thanks for the screenshot, that makes it easier to understand.  Lets see what some folks think about the options right now, not sure which way we should go.

1) Leave as is, simple button text as in  X Likes or Likes: (X)
2) Button with indicator, similar to the other counters on the site (added image so folks don't have to search)
3) Separate the counter from the button  (or in addition to 1) an add a "badge" of some style

Hi Spuds,

I belive the 'balloon' attached to the 'thumbs up button" is nicer looking than having a box with a number in it tossed onto the page somewhere.

I do wonder how this would look if the balloon were attached to the bottom of the button, with the attachment point at the left side of the button, under the base of the hand?  May want to consider also that if a post has a thousand 'likes' (not likely, I know) that perhaps the balloon whether on the top or the bottom of the button, might should attach to the left of the button?

Reply #23

I like the balloon on top of a like, though I noticed it doesn't yet appear if I click the Like button until I reload the page (see attachment). I also like ema's suggestion:

Quote from: emanuele – or otherwise:
  • neutral when not liked by you,
  • + when liked by you
of course in this second case it becomes implicit that on 1), a click would like and on 2) a click would remove the like.

Could always change the icon to the Green(+)/Red (-) icon on hover, that would make it explicit.

Reply #24

Yeah .... I have been ponder that balloon this evening. I think you are right; it looks better on top side. Maybe the balloon just seems too high on the button to me?  Perhaps lower it a wee bit into the button? <shrug>

Reply #25

Quote from: Eliana Tamerin – I like the balloon on top of a like, though I noticed it doesn't yet appear if I click the Like button until I reload the page (see attachment).
Oops ... yeah I was a bit of a slacker on updating the js to do that, I did fix that (I hope) in the PR.
Quote from: Eliana Tamerin – I also like ema's suggestion:

Quote from: emanuele – or otherwise:
  • neutral when not liked by you,
  • + when liked by you
of course in this second case it becomes implicit that on 1), a click would like and on 2) a click would remove the like.

Could always change the icon to the Green(+)/Red (-) icon on hover, that would make it explicit.
I may give that a try, also sounds like a good idea.

Quote from: AaronB – Yeah .... I have been ponder that balloon this evening. I think you are right; it looks better on top side. Maybe the balloon just seems too high on the button to me?  Perhaps lower it a wee bit into the button? <shrug>
I've tidied it up a bit, may be better now.  Also note that the balloon grows to the left, so should you get 100 likes, the right side of the balloon does not move, it grows to the left.

Reply #26

And once again as a test :D  ... the + and - are added only on the hover to indicate what action will be taken.

So if you can like a post (+) shows up the thumb icon on hover
If you can remove a like you gave a (-) shows up on the thumb icon
If you can't do a think it just stays as the thumbs up

Reply #27

emanuele likes the idea! :D
Bugs creator.
Features destroyer.
Template killer.

Reply #28

:)    I likes.   I thunk I saw an attachement ... did you delete it? I sort of liked that orange/gold look.

Reply #29

Looks nice :)