Skip to main content
Topic: Gravatar / default avatar pic support? (Read 6363 times) previous topic - next topic

Gravatar / default avatar pic support?

I've been working on gravatar / default avatar pic integration  :) (Made a private SMF 2.0 mod for a customer ~ 2,5 years ago) The code is somewhat "dirty" and needs to be optimized. If I'm ready with the tuning, should I send a pull request (core integration) or should I make a modification? Both features seem to be popular, thus I'd prefer to integrate it as a default feature.
Thorsten "TE" Eurich
------------------------

Re: Gravatar / default avatar pic support?

Reply #1

That sounds snazzy :)

Reply #2

I'm neutral.
Master of Expletives: Now with improved family f@&king friendliness! :D

Sources code: making easy front end changes difficult since 1873. :P

Reply #3

Ah, cheers! Gravatar integration crossed my mind a few times. I believe Elk can and should make use of services that add to its ease of use. The web has changed, long ago for that matter, and people expect to easily use or reuse bits of their identities cross-sites.

This will make a nice addition to its toolset. :)

Thank you for your work on it! I'd say a pull request for default feature is best.
The best moment for testing your PR is right after you merge it. Can't miss with that one.

Reply #4

Feature Cat was drooling for this in another world...

Reply #5

Should be core IMO  ... and Thanks!

Reply #6

Quick question: Do gravatars need their own permission or is it OK if I use the 'Allow_remote_avatar' permission (gravatars are remote files, too)?
Thorsten "TE" Eurich
------------------------

Reply #7

Sorry for the quick reply.
I can see instances where you'd want to allow user remote avatars, but forbid use of gravatar site. Some for incorrect reasons, as you say. I still think it's better to allow admins to choose not to allow use of gravatar integration. (I will come back on this obliquely in another discussion.)
The best moment for testing your PR is right after you merge it. Can't miss with that one.

Reply #8

And I suppose people will want the option to allow different ratings for gravatars. O:-)
Bugs creator.
Features destroyer.
Template killer.

Reply #9

Quote from: emanuele – And I suppose people will want the option to allow different ratings for gravatars. O:-)
Ratings is already implemented, I'll add the permissions, too :)
Thorsten "TE" Eurich
------------------------

Reply #10

Ratings for avatars? WTF?

Reply #11

x is my favorite  ;D
QuoteRating
Gravatar allows users to self-rate their images so that they can indicate if an image is appropriate for a certain audience. By default, only 'G' rated images are displayed unless you indicate that you would like to see higher ratings.

g: suitable for display on all websites with any audience type.
pg: may contain rude gestures, provocatively dressed individuals, the lesser swear words, or mild violence.
r: may contain such things as harsh profanity, intense violence, nudity, or hard drug use.
x: may contain hardcore sexual imagery or extremely disturbing violence.
If the requested email hash does not have an image meeting the requested rating level, then the default image is returned (or the specified default, as per above)
Thorsten "TE" Eurich
------------------------

Reply #12

Ah. Hadn't thought of it that way, but makes sense.