Skip to main content
Topic: 2 forums, 1 userbase... (Read 4640 times) previous topic - next topic

2 forums, 1 userbase...

Okay, I have 2 forums and want them to share same userbase.
One forum is my main site, the other is going to be the new version of my webmaster forum.
Reason is, I decided its best to have my main just be for the projects we do.
The webmaster forum, will house the rest.

Right now, the webmaster forum only has cats and boards, and main Armin account, so would like to do this now, before add more content.

However, database work, and such, is not my strong points, so will need help on this, and good instruction.

Re: 2 forums, 1 userbase...

Reply #1

you already installed a 2nd (webmaster) forum onto the same db?

Reply #3

Do they need to synch to the same database and register users at the same time in both forums if new people come there or not? If not, you can just import the database normally and clear out all topics.
~ SimplePortal Support Team ~

Reply #4

that's beyond me

i was thinking copy entire db, rename it for forum#2, repair_settings.php in it's root... end up with a copy of forum#1 and just clean it out and rearrange to suit

Reply #5

Quote from: derived – that's beyond me

i was thinking copy entire db, rename it for forum#2, repair_settings.php in it's root... end up with a copy of forum#1 and just clean it out and rearrange to suit

That won't let me keep userbase on both.
That's how it basically was made, a while back. It was the site now at my main. Just went and cleared all posts and members, to make new site. But now, would like them to share the same userbase that the main site has, so can log in and be able to use both forums, under the same account.

Reply #6

I think it's not possible, unless you massively recode the whole thing, due to how notifications/posts/users IDs work... This, at least, if you want them to be always synched, otherwise I told you how to do it in reply3 :P

Reply #7

Quote from: Flavio93Zena (#OpIsis) – I think it's not possible, unless you massively recode the whole thing, due to how notifications/posts/users IDs work... This, at least, if you want them to be always synched, otherwise I told you how to do it in reply3 :P

No, you told me how to do what I've already done, and you pretty well know I did it...LOL

I said, I want them to SHARE the SAME userbase.

Meaning, your account on one, is the same and logs you into the other, as well.

They had some about it on SM.org, using the SSI file, but I'm at a loss understanding that stuff.

Reply #8

Strange but Multi Elkarte Sub Forum Addon (MESFA) can already do that.

Reply #9

I thought about sub-forums, but it seems he is asking for something quite different, I may be wrong though :)

Reply #11

Assuming you don't need shared authentication (i.e. log into one makes you logged into the other), that would likely be a pain to do cross-domain (cookies are not "shareable", they are domain-specific), what I would do is make one of the two the "master", direct users to that one for registration, and once registration is done, replicate the user to the other database.
How the replication is done... well, you could use the same scheme I used for the "PM to new members" (taking in consideration in 1.0.6 one of the hooks is broken and needs a workaround).
Bugs creator.
Features destroyer.
Template killer.

Reply #12

Well, imported  the members from one to the other, and now, getting strange errors in the webmaster forum, that are not in the main site.

Do note, except for a couple theme edits, the rest of the files for webmaster forum, are from the main site, yet only that one has the errors.

Code: [Select]
Type of error: Undefined
8: Undefined variable: scripturl
URL http://www.webmastershaven.net/index.php?action=admin;area=logs;sa=errorlog;desc
File: webmastershaven.net/themes/default/languages/english/Post.english.php (body_below sub template - eval?)
Line: 359

Type of error: Undefined
8: Undefined variable: scripturl
URL http://www.webmastershaven.net/index.php?action=admin;area=logs;sa=errorlog;desc
File: webmastershaven.net/themes/default/Errors.template.php (body_above sub template - eval?)
Line: 458

Reply #13

You should well know after many years with smf, that you have to disable the template eval if you get "blabla sub template - eval?" errors :P

Reply #14

Okay, then explain why one forum has the error, and the other does not, both not disabled.

EDIT: Looks like the calls I did for links caused it. However, I do not know why, as they worked using the scripturl call, yet threw errors.
I changed them to hard coded URL, though, so not big issue, just a curiosity.