Skip to main content
Topic: Starting Out and Looking for Help (Read 2342 times) previous topic - next topic

Starting Out and Looking for Help

I'm going to preface this by saying what will likely become obvious: my friends and I are not coders. I've installed a few mods for the current SMF-based site we have, but aside from that we have little to no experience with any advanced, or heck, even average coding. If I say something that just sounds completely dumb or tedious, I apologize!

After a successful year of our roleplay site running on SMF forums we've realized that we want to improve upon the site in several ways that seem as though they'd be easier and less clunky on the Elkarte forums. Unfortunately we're not entirely sure where to start with this!

For the most part we are more than ready to ditch a lot of these mods in favor of already available mods through Elkarte, or mods we hope to commission in the future. One mod that we do want to keep, or at least some version of, is a sub-account mod. Not only do our members enjoy it, but we feel like the site itself may be a bit uprooted if we were to get rid of it after a year of having had it, since many users on our roleplay site use the different accounts for different characters.

There lies the problem. As far as I have been able to tell, there is no current sub-account mod available for Elkarte. So on that front, I would love to be pointed in the right direction for having someone create one for us. We are more than willing to compensate your work, as we certainly understand coding is just that, work, and should be treated as such!

Perhaps the same person would be interested in aiding in the transfer to Elkarte. As I said before, few if any of us on our website are code-savy or tech-savy, and we would love for the installation and transfer to go as smoothly as possible! For that, I would certainly be willing to compensate someone for their time if they were able to successfully transfer all of our information over while still having the sub-accounts intact!

If things go well we would love to commission and/or suggest many mods in the future, as we are a growing community and love the sleek look of Elkarte, and would love to grow even bigger with more features to offer our members!

Apologies if this thread is in the wrong location, or out of line! We're excited to transfer over, but the sub-account thing is really all that's holding us back at this time, as it is not something we can currently part with. Thank you so much for your time!
CritterCosmos
A community of like-minded artists and writers!

Re: Starting Out and Looking for Help

Reply #1

Welcome to ElkArte. I think you make a right choice of choosing ElkArte and that the developers here will be helpful in your intended transfer.

Reply #2

Welcome at elkarte.net! :)

There is someone that worked on sub-accounts, but I don't think he released the code (and TBH at the moment I don't remember who was... lol).

If anyone is interested in developing it, I'm available to give as much support I can (the real value of my support may not be that high, but you know me very well, I know. :P).
Bugs creator.
Features destroyer.
Template killer.

Reply #3

Thank you for the warm welcome, and I am very happy to hear that this is possible and will have your support! I've gone ahead and thrown a thread up in the add-on idea/suggestion board to see if anyone would be willing to help us with this.  :)

Reply #4