Skip to main content
Topic: SMF 2.1 (Read 3063 times) previous topic - next topic

SMF 2.1

Has anyone tried converter a 2.1 to EA?

Re: SMF 2.1

Reply #1

I don't have any after 2.0.x migration to EA.

Reply #2

Yes, but it's been a looong time. If memory serves, a few database table/row names had to be altered in the script before it would complete.

The process was something like this: run the script to failure. The script should indicate the errant database non-conformity. Either change the table/row name in the script, or in the database being imported. Run again. 

It's a good practice to keep unaltered backups in at least two separate locations. Just in case!

The worst that happens is you wind up restoring the 2.1 install. After all, you have the database and all files in backup, right? ;D

Reply #3

Always have a backup before I do anything  :P

Reply #4

Quote from: Allan – Always have a backup before I do anything  :P

Of course you do! Much like the backup itself, it never hurts including redundancy for other readers too. Good luck, let us know how it goes for you.

Reply #5

Problem there are still people thinking "I don't need a backup, nothing can go wrong."  ;)

Reply #6

On the SMF resource, forum owners started looking for converters in the opposite direction: Elkarte - SMF 2.1. But there was no such converter - there is no way back))
Probably, now many forum admins will want to go back, because the final release of SMF 2.1 has recently appeared. And there are many updated mods for it.
I think that developers who support Elkarte need to know this news so that there is no outflow from Elkarte.
Last Edit: February 14, 2022, 11:08:00 pm by forumovod

Reply #7

To be honest there is no interest for Elkarte team to develop a converter from Elkarte to any other forum, that usually is up to the other forum developers.
Probably in the future there might be an updated importer from SMF 2.1 to Elkarte, but I am not in the condition to guarantee that since I am not a developer.

Anyway on SMF forum I think there is an importer from Elkarte to SMF 2.0 +  large update to update to 2.1.
People come and go, from one forum software to the other...
sorry for my bad english

Reply #8

Agreed. On the good side, people with better knowledge can fork and contribute to that in the github, hence make it more universal, multi ways converter as it is originally intended.