Skip to main content
Topic: ROAM: Re-Organized Admin Menu (Read 8942 times) previous topic - next topic

ROAM: Re-Organized Admin Menu

ROAM: Re-Organize Admin Menu mod

- For ElkArte 1.0.x and 1.1 Beta x.
- Fully hook, no file modification.

1. Please do your own backup though every installation is backed up automatically.
2. This mod will reorganize admin menu with a little bit as a separate Modification & Theme menu is created.
3. Core Features, Package Manager, Modification Settings, Search Engine (if enabled) will be under the new Modification menu.
4. Theme, Smileys, Icons, Attachments & Avatars will be under the new Theme menu.
5. Report is now under Main, Mail is now under Main and Permissions is now under Maintenance.
6. Now more other mods friendly as will detect and display other mods menu.
7. You can now enable and disable it from the mod settings page.
8. This mod will bring you to the mod settings page upon its successful installation.
9. You can test it in lower version too as IMO it should work just fine. ;)

Thank you for using/testing it.

Yours friendly,
Abu Fahim Ismail.

BSD License. Feel free to modify accordingly but keep author's link if it is in there somewhere. ;)

#Change Logs

@Version 1.2.6
- Cancel version 1.2.5.
- Reuse version 1.2.4 for 1.1 Beta 3 base.

@Version 1.2.5
- Make it work with 1.1 Beta 2.

@Version 1.2.4
- Restructuring directory and location.

@Version 1.2.3
- Missing language due to renaming the setting text.

@Version 1.2.2
- Fix reported issues in here.

@Version 1.2.1
- Attempt to fix hook for not displaying other mod settings sub-menu.
- Re-organize file to my SOP.

@Version RC 1.2.0
- Now more other mods friendly as will detect and display other mods menu.
- You can now enable and disable it from the mod settings page.
- This mod will bring you to the mod settings page upon its successful installation.

@Version Beta 1.1.1
- Fully using hook.
- No more file modification. ;)

@Version 1.1
- Add theme
- Re-organize admin menu even more.

@Version 1.0
- Add modification menu
- Re-organize admin menu a bit.

Re: [ADDON] ROAM - Re-Organized Admin Menu

Reply #1

Thanks for sharing  :D

Reply #2

Any way possible to get a screenshot  ;)

Reply #3

Picture added. Only a simple addon (named as modification menu) and pulling some from main and config menu to it.

Reply #4

I like it though, makes it much simpler. Which is a good thing.

Reply #5

Interesting, very interesting.

emanuele is tempted to steal it O:-)

I wonder what would you think (I mean for 1.1) of a section "Extending" (or something like that), with sub-entries:
core features (?)
package manager
addon settings
themes
current theme (?)
languages
That would group together all the admin pages that somehow are related to extend the "basic" features of ElkArte.

Does it make sense?
Bugs creator.
Features destroyer.
Template killer.

Reply #6

Oh, don't ask me, I would rearrange the whole admin center. :-[

Reply #7

emanuele points @Jorin to the features discussion board. O:-)

emanuele feels the topic could be split... well, let's see.
Bugs creator.
Features destroyer.
Template killer.

Reply #8

It makes sense to me to arrange few items. But if you feel like rearranging more than that or everything, feel free... :)

Reply #9

Re-organized admin menu even more in version 1.0.1. ;) Attached in OP but still no hook. :(

Reply #10

Interesting indeed! Nicely balanced. :)

Just one minor suggestion: to me "Search engines" doesn't fit very well under "Modification". A possible alternative could be "Languages" under Modification" and "Search engines" under "Configuration" if you want to keep the 4/5 items per menu, otherwise just "Search Engines" under "Configuration", making this one a 6 elements.
Bugs creator.
Features destroyer.
Template killer.

Reply #11

Actually, I was not sure myself when organizing them. So just dump some menus to the other while creating another theme menu. I guess it should be under config menu. I will do that minor arrangement later. For the time being, I am still learning how to implement the "hook things" to the menu.

Reply #12

Quote from: ahrasis – Actually, I was not sure myself when organizing them.
LOL I understand!

Quote from: ahrasis – For the time being, I am still learning how to implement the "hook things" to the menu.
If you have any question feel free to ask! ;D
Bugs creator.
Features destroyer.
Template killer.

Reply #13

@emanuele I think I am able to create a hook version for this mod now. But I will somebody to test it. I attached it in the first post.

Reply #14

Looking at the code looks good! :)

Without entering too much into details (maybe you are not interested ;)), you may find interesting this function for where you insert the new menus in the middle of the existing array.

Now just a couple of things because I'm picky and my mind is blowing apart for some code I'm writing, so I need some rest and write anything apart code is a good way to rest[1][2].

Instead of integrate_pre_include you may want to try integrate_admin_include (I think the mod works only in the admin area, right?).
Or, alternatively, you could use:
Code: [Select]
$hook_functions = array(
'integrate_admin_areas' => 'ROAM_Buttons|ADMINDIR/ROAM.subs.php',
'integrate_general_mod_settings' => 'ROAM_Settings|ADMINDIR/ROAM.subs.php',
);
This way the file is loaded only when the hook is used. ;D

Oh, last bit, really a "technicality", for the way the code is organized, it would be better to have the file ROAM.subs.php in SUBSDIR and not ADMINDIR.
There is some documentation (see here), but is not very "clear"... it should be expanded... one day. lol
Though, IIRC the menu is in Admin.controller.php, right? Yeah, then that may work as well. :)
Well, yes sleep would be an even better way, though if I have a problem in mind and I go bed I start thinking at the problem and I end up staring at the ceiling for hours without being able to sleep at all, so better write here on the forum. :P
Yeah... also read could be a good way and I have a couple of books next to the bed that I'm reading, so it may really be a good idea go and read something, but... hmm... no, better write. :P
Bugs creator.
Features destroyer.
Template killer.