Skip to main content
Topic: Is this project alive? (Read 12721 times) previous topic - next topic

Is this project alive?

Is this project alive? There are almost no new messages on the forum. Therefore it seems that the project is abandoned.

Re: Is this project alive?

Reply #1

It's still alive though it's not kicking that much...

Reply #2

Here almost died as on SMF? What is the reason? 4 years ago, it was active here.

Reply #3

I can see you made assumption after assumption, but what is your real intention anyway? Bored living in Covid 19 pandemic era? :P
Last Edit: August 13, 2020, 07:15:17 am by ahrasis

Reply #4

Maybe the elk site doesn't need much support since it works correctly out of the box! ;D

Reply #5

Quote from: ahrasis – I can see you made assumption after assumption, but what is your real intention anyway? Bored living in Covid 19 pandemic era? :P

Your answers are very useful for attracting new users to ElkArte))

Reply #6

Quote from: badmonkey – Maybe the elk site doesn't need much support since it works correctly out of the box! ;D

Usually, a dead project forum shows that there is no interest in the project from developers and users. It would be stupid to migrate from one dead project (SMF) to an alternative project (Elkarte) if it also died.

Reply #7

Grinning icons are usually indicative of a joke too. Seriously, I get what you're saying. On the plus, there's plenty of life here over the past couple days. 

Reply #8

Quote from: badmonkey – Seriously, I get what you're saying. On the plus, there's plenty of life here over the past couple days.

Then I have another question.
As I understand it, Elkarte 1.1 is made in order not to wait for the final release of SMF 2.1. But what will the Elkarte team do when the final release of SMF 2.1 does appear and migration from SMF to Elkarte becomes irrelevant? Does the Elkarte team have a road map? Where can I read about it?

Reply #9

We are not SMF and don't really care about it. We also don't need people to come here and be bossy. If we are really dead then you are now getting responses from all the living dead. :P

Reply #10

Quote from: ahrasis – We are not SMF and don't really care about it. We also don't need people to come here and be bossy. If we are really dead then you are now getting responses from all the living dead. :P

Can you refrain from your useless answers?

Reply #11

I will not unless you stop making assumptions and bad comments about this forum and the software. By the way, my answers are not useless.

Reply #12

Quote from: ahrasis – I will not unless you stop making assumptions and bad comments about this forum and the software. By the way, my answers are not useless.

I came to this forum and didn't see any activity over the past year. Is this called a live forum?

Reply #13

Quote from: forumovod – As I understand it, Elkarte 1.1 is made in order not to wait for the final release of SMF 2.1.
hmm... no.
ElkArte was made because a group of people decided the way SMF was developing (and the environment, at least for me) was not of their liking.
Elk development has nothing to do with SMF.

Quote from: forumovod – Does the Elkarte team have a road map? Where can I read about it?
Well, considering the current release schedule, no, I don't have a road map.
I have some personal goals, if I will be able to achieve them, that's an entirely different story.

Quote from: forumovod – I came to this forum and didn't see any activity over the past year. Is this called a live forum?
The activity is low. No reason to say the project is thriving. We followed a reasonable release schedule for as long as we've been able to, with 2.0 I myself probably asked too much and pushed some more code changes than what was reasonable [1].
I would like to push at least another bunch of code before releasing a 1st beta, I hoped I could get some time to focus last week when I was on holiday, but... there always is something to do in RL, dang!, so I had to postpone it.
My personal goal would be to have some kind of beta [2]. Is it realistic? Yes. Will it happen? Time will tell.
Dreams are a bad thing in software development.
and beta here tends to mean feature freeze, at least in terms of database changes, that is already quite a bit of hassles less, because you can upgrade to any further release without having to run any code.
Bugs creator.
Features destroyer.
Template killer.

Reply #14

emanuele
Thank you for the full answer.
I installed Elkarte on a new project. If the experiment is successful, I will think about migrating my other forums from SMF 2.0 to Elkarte. Because I can't wait 10 years for the final release of SMF 2.1 to update my sites.

I hope you understand why I am concerned about the low activity on this support forum.