Skip to main content
Topic: Admin.english.php - enableSpellChecking_warning (Read 3879 times) previous topic - next topic

Admin.english.php - enableSpellChecking_warning

Current text in enableSpellChecking_warning is:
Quotethis does not work on all servers.

wouldn't it be better like this:
Quotethis does not work on some servers.

Now it sounds like it is not working on all servers ::)

Re: Admin.english.php - enableSpellChecking_warning

Reply #1

I know it's correct, but from time to time I find that sentence a bit strange as well (probably due to how it could translate in Italian).
Bugs creator.
Features destroyer.
Template killer.

Reply #2

Never noticed that being odd, until you pointed that out, its a common construct in English.  Your sentence works fine and if its better to translate, I'd say change it.

Reply #3

Now that I look at the code:
Code: [Select]
function_exists('pspell_new') ? $txt['enableSpellChecking_warning'] : '<span class="error">' . $txt['enableSpellChecking_error'] . '</span>')
Why not change it to "this should work on your server."?
Bugs creator.
Features destroyer.
Template killer.

Reply #4

Sounds good to me

Reply #5

Quote from: emanuele – Now that I look at the code:

function_exists('pspell_new') ? $txt['enableSpellChecking_warning'] : '<span class="error">' . $txt['enableSpellChecking_error'] . '</span>')
Why not change it to "this should work on your server."?

The problem I see with that is it implies that ElkArte has checked the server and ElkArte believes that spell checking will work. Should spell checking happen to not work in that case then the Admin may be tempted to contact the Host and pester them or contact ElkArte and moan about the matter.  The nuances, implied meaning and the perceived meaning of the English language can be awkward at times.

A way to take a neutral stance would be to state 'Some servers do not provide for spell checking.' or something of that nature. Could even make it a help item in the gutter and get a little more verbose by adding 'Please check with your Host if you have questions about spell checking.'  This does not put ElkArte or the Host in an iffy position.  If spell checking happens to not work then more than likly the Admin will accept that and go on and not pester the Host or ElkArte.

Reply #6

Quote from: Aggelos – The problem I see with that is it implies that ElkArte has checked the server and ElkArte believes that spell checking will work.
That was the idea: the piece
function_exists('pspell_new')
is there to check if the function is available. If the function is available the spellchecker should work (I think).
What may not work (I guess) is the language that may be not present.

Quote from: Aggelos – A way to take a neutral stance would be to state 'Some servers do not provide for spell checking.' or something of that nature. Could even make it a help item in the gutter and get a little more verbose by adding 'Please check with your Host if you have questions about spell checking.'
That may work too.
Bugs creator.
Features destroyer.
Template killer.