Skip to main content
Topic: Last post on board index (Read 792 times) previous topic - next topic

Last post on board index

I had just noticed this and was not sure if would be system bug, or theme bug.
When viewing the board index, the last post for the boards gets cut off.
Now, that's normal, unless it's supposed to go to another line and finish, but when do cut off, I notice it has the typical the ...'s.
However, if a word is cut off, it won't do the ... but cuts off at the end.
If look at the screenshot, you'll see what I mean.

Non_Wrap.png

Re: Last post on board index

Reply #1

It is supposed to cut/break , as opposed to line wrapping.  Wrapping the text would make a real mess of the layout.

That said it should show the ... (ellipsis) when it has to break that line (unless the short subject would overflow, in which case its just clipped).  Not sure what is going on there, something to more to look at !

Reply #2

Quote from: Spuds – It is supposed to cut/break , as opposed to line wrapping.  Wrapping the text would make a real mess of the layout.

That said it should show the ... (ellipsis) when it has to break that line (unless the short subject would overflow, in which case its just clipped).  Not sure what is going on there, something to more to look at !

I noticed that the presence (or not) of the elipsis depends on the width of the viewing window..  if I make the viewing window wider (or narrower) it comes and goes  (i.e., make it wider they appear, or disappear, continuing making it wider and they reappear or disappear again. It's like the window size changes in pixel increments but the "elipsis display" calculation is in, oh, say, 10 pixel increments.

// Deep inside every dilemma lies a solution that involves explosives //

Reply #3

It does appear that it misses only when it cuts off a word in the middle.
Is it set to a certain character count?
I'm not sure if it's possible to force it to cut off before the next word if the word would go over the character count.

Reply #4

Quote from: Burke_Knight – It does appear that it misses only when it cuts off a word in the middle.
Is it set to a certain character count?
I'm not sure if it's possible to force it to cut off before the next word if the word would go over the character count.

It's bad enough being compelled to construct html pages server side based on what client browser is being used and its features and limitations , but then also having to know what font and font size, window size, etc.  the client browser is set to is crazy. At some point the server is just going to send the template to the client and say "here is the content,  YOU make it look right". :rofl::rofl:

// Deep inside every dilemma lies a solution that involves explosives //

Reply #5

Made a tweak to add the ellipsis when it has to cut the line ... it should look better now.