Skip to main content
Topic: The darn August.... (Read 3450 times) previous topic - next topic

The darn August....

This month started in a very sh***y way: the power supply fan started being very noisy Thursday morning, after a few on and off, I gave up, opened everything and cleaned all the stuff in there. I put everything back together just to discover that nothing changed noise-wise, but insted the os stopped booting.
After few tries today I installed the latest version of opensuse just tu discover that kde/plasma 5 is basically a huge regression in comparison to kde4.
So now I'm contemplating the option to re-install suse 12.2 and live (not) happy with it until kde comes back to be whar it was 10 years ago... Ahhh how enjoyable is the progress... ::)
Bugs creator.
Features destroyer.
Template killer.

Re: The darn August....

Reply #1

Seems almost like what happen to my PC but cleaning up make it works again, very fortunately. Two cheap extra supporting fan however are not working anymore and needed to be changed. I need to find them soon as I believe that they help a bit in reducing the workload of the main cpu fan.

Right after fixing that, my DLink DIR-615 A1 or L7NR2000 wifi router (from my ISP)[1]create some problems. I have a hard time finding its original firmware and I even ending up trying to flash compatible openwrt and dd-wrt software (which are all not so compatible however).

Luckily I found some old blog wrote about the same router, giving a clue or two where to find it. I then managed to dig a good original firmware from DLink Taiwan ftp server but unfortunately it is not in a bin format i.e. you need to cook it using Centos 5.4 (at least that is what the instructions said).

Figuring that it could also be in neighboring DLink Singapore site, I searched in there and managed to find an updated firmware at ftp://dlink.com.sg/L7%20N-R2000/Firmware/. After carefully resetting the router to its emergency mode for upgrade, I now finally managed to saved the router by changing version 1.07TM to 1.09OD. Yay!
Out of contract coverage period already
Last Edit: August 13, 2017, 04:20:58 am by ahrasis

Reply #2

In the end it really was just a big-little mess.
1st the normal boot: it likely screwed after some bad reset from my part during the fan affair, and a fsck fixed it. YAY!
2nd the secondary boot (thinking a bit afterwards) was screwed because I configured the swap partition on the data drive that I disconnected while trying to fix the 1st problem to avoid more corruptions, so the os didn't find the swap and didn't finish the boot. Meh...
3rd plasma 5 removed a lot of stuff I use happily with kde4, so move it's not an option. Mehhh... And this is a problem, but one I don't need to fix now.
4th the fan stopped being noisy by itself, and now I don't know what to do. But at least I can use the computer, so all in all, YAY! (Provided it can start again even today.)
Bugs creator.
Features destroyer.
Template killer.

Reply #3

Quote4th the fan stopped being noisy by itself, and now I don't know what to do. But at least I can use the computer, so all in all, YAY! (Provided it can start again even today.)
Did it die?
LiveGallery - Simple gallery addon for ElkArte

Reply #4

No, it wake up this evening again! >:(

Provided a fanless PSU is quite more expensive than what I would use for a PSU, I guess I'm gonna replace the fan with a new one. lol
Bugs creator.
Features destroyer.
Template killer.

Reply #5

yeah, that's the best/safest bet. Oiling the bearings may also work. Don't want to overheating power supply.
LiveGallery - Simple gallery addon for ElkArte

Reply #6

Quote from: emanuele – No, it wake up this evening again! >:(

Provided a fanless PSU is quite more expensive than what I would use for a PSU, I guess I'm gonna replace the fan with a new one. lol
You can also get plenty of decent "actively" cooled PSUs that don't come on under light use, like the Corsair AX750 I bought about seven years ago. It's basically a rebranded Seasonic, but I don't know if the entire AX series was or is Seasonic.

It used to run (quietly), but in the meantime I upgraded to a more recent, more power-efficient CPU. I also organically replaced a few aging energy-slurping HDDs with two SSDs over the years. Nowadays it's often not running at all.

The health of all your components depends on your PSU, after all. ;)

Reply #7

Mine is a corsair CX 500 and it's...5 to 6 years old (I don't remember exactly because it was already a replacement of one that broke while still in warranty).

The advantage of a fanless would be no moving parts, so not even the risk of having something broken like in this case, but I'm not sure if the GPU fan is pushing towards the heatsink or pulling air from the outside, so I have mixed feelings... :-\ And the fact that 160 euro for the PSU is a bit on the high side. O:-)
Bugs creator.
Features destroyer.
Template killer.

Reply #8

The Seasonic Platinum Series 400 is ahem "only" 130-ish. :P

Yeah, actually the one thing I don't like about my upgrade from an nVidia 7600GT to my current AMD R9 270X (back in '14) is that I had a passively cooled model.

I've got a be quiet! shadow rock slim on my CPU and it can basically passively cool my CPU even without the fan. Stock cooler is in the 40s on idle and closer to 70 under load. With my cooler it's in the 30s idle and seldom above 50 under load. With the fan disabled (slightly tricky, the motherboard doesn't like it) it basically goes back to stock, even slightly cooler. Longer term you might get trouble with (lack of) heat displacement I suppose.

Reply #9

I have a spare PSU just in case. Its fan shouldn't work that hard after all unnecessary things are unplugged.

Reply #10

I have a spare PSU as well, but it's an el cheapo salvaged model which I'm not 100% sure if it would still work with my current setup. xD