Skip to main content
Topic: Sorting options stuff (Read 5921 times) previous topic - next topic

Sorting options stuff

Not sure about the way the sorting options are handled at the moment. It's all a bit opaque and fiddly IMO. The asc/desc icon has nothing to indicate what it does, and is so umm, let's say "unpretentious", that it's likely to be overlooked. At the least, I think it should have a title attribute added.

Also, the language strings are a bit suss. "Sort by: Last post by" is not exactly brilliant use of English. "Sort by: last post author" would be far better. The same point applies to "Sort by: Started by".

If language strings are going to be changed to use reasonable grammar, it would make sense to update the old ones we inherited from SMF too. "Sort by: Last post" is ok, but "Sort by: last post time" would make it clearer.
Master of Expletives: Now with improved family f@&king friendliness! :D

Sources code: making easy front end changes difficult since 1873. :P

Re: Sorting options stuff

Reply #1

I had not even notice the language when you combine the to ... kind of funny, but indeed those should be fixed.   Adding the title attribute to the sort icon should be easy, I'm surprised its not there.

It does seem like the sort selection area is a bit hidden, not obvious that you can sort or that there is a control up there, almost needs a background or a selection box arrow to show its a form control.

Reply #2

Yup. It'll probably be fairly obvious to anyone who is already familiar with using SMF, but others may miss it entirely.

Reply #3

Maybe like a tab?

Reply #4

Sexy! :D

Would that work for the unread/unreadreplies too?
Bugs creator.
Features destroyer.
Template killer.

Reply #5

It works but those screens do need a margin adjustment to keep things lined up since the layout is different

Reply #6

Since the message index and unread/replies page content is largely the same, it may make sense to change the layout so it matches. That should reduce the total amount of code required.

Reply #7

Yup, I started "merging" some pieces of template, but there is still a lot more to do. I stopped because doing more now may be tricky in terms of testing...
Bugs creator.
Features destroyer.
Template killer.

Reply #8

But what about your sig? Surely you shouldn't let something as trivial as testing stop you.

Reply #9

Yeah, that's true, but Spuds is another story... :P
Bugs creator.
Features destroyer.
Template killer.