Skip to main content
Topic: Message for guests (Read 2101 times) previous topic - next topic

Message for guests

You know these small boxes that appear mostly at the top of the board and want you to register?

What about the idea ElkArte would show such a small popup message for guests only, but not always... Just a few times when guests are visiting a topic. Say, maybe every tenth site refresh a small window appears which offers guests a registration? We could make it editable in the admin panel, so every board can show it's own message there. Wouldn't that be nice?

Re: Message for guests

Reply #1

A block visible to guests can be made with SimplePortal if you use it, I know it's not the same thing you asked but could be an alternative
sorry for my bad english

Reply #2

Good idea @Jorin . It will require java / jquery code for it. Something like, if user is guest, pop up invitation to register.

But as Radu said, you can use SP block (or may be global header addon) to add it without pop up. You may even use news with link to register to invite guest to register.

Reply #3

Thanks to both of you. I already use the news section to remember my guests to register. But that's different then this thing here. Don't you think guests will be disappointed by this message? I know this bars on top of the board are often disliked.

Reply #5

Something along the lines of: http://www.elkarte.net/community/index.php?topic=2795.0 ?

It's currently only based on the user interaction (though I don't remember tracking the "dismiss" with cookies for guests, so that should be added), but worth thing about it.
Bugs creator.
Features destroyer.
Template killer.

Reply #6

Kind of, @emanuele

I think more of a nice window, not a greenish thingy in the corner.  :P 

But your addon idea seems to be always there... I thought about a window popping up here and there.

Reply #7

Actually, you can never satisfy your guests or members. The way i look at it, you could use popup on page load that dismisses itself after 3 seconds or so.

Reply #8

The addon already does. :P
Bugs creator.
Features destroyer.
Template killer.