Skip to main content
Topic: Database functions (Read 2427 times) previous topic - next topic

Database functions

I was just thinking that instead of just the normal query/insert functions, that each one of the normal types of queries should have their own function. Reason being is that then it makes it much easier to use a master/slave setup.

So it would add select(), delete(), update() to Database. Then a plugin can handle the query/server selection. A raw query() would go to the master because you don't know what it is going to do. Everything except for a select() would go to the master because they change rows. This is, of course, very easy to do with one of the many tools out there, but I also think that this would make plugins easier for certain types of queries.

Re: Database functions

Reply #2

Honestly db-related I'm not sure what's the "state of the art", but considering this level of methods  splitting (that would be quite interesting I think), it would probably be more consistent and flexible to follow the schema provided by the current db::insert(), so instead of passing the "raw" query, pass arrays of fields so that the db-layer could reassemble them the way it likes.

For example update could be:
Code: [Select]
public function update($query_id = '', $table, $columns, $data, $conditions = '', $disable_trans = false, $connection = null)
{
global $db_prefix;

$connection = $this->getConnection($connection);

// With nothing to insert, simply return.
if (empty($data))
return;

// Replace the prefix holder with the actual prefix.
$table = str_replace('{db_prefix}', $db_prefix, $table);

$updateData = '';
foreach ($columns as $columnName => $type)
{
if (isset($data[$columnName]))
{
$updateData .= '
' . $columnName . ' = ';
// Are we restricting the length?
if (strpos($type, 'string-') !== false)
$updateData .= sprintf('SUBSTRING({string:%1$s}, 1, ' . substr($type, 7) . '), ', $columnName);
else
$updateData .= sprintf('{%1$s:%2$s}, ', $type, $columnName);
}
}
$updateData = substr($updateData, 0, -2);

if ($conditions !== '')
$conditions = 'WHERE ' . $conditions;

// Create an array consisting of only the columns.
$indexed_columns = array_keys($columns);

// Here's where the variables are injected to the query.
$updateRows = array();
foreach ($data as $dataRow)
$insertRows[] = $this->quote($updateData, array_combine($indexed_columns, $dataRow), $connection);

$data['db_error_skip'] = $table === $db_prefix . 'log_errors';

// Do the insert.
$this->query($query_id, '
UPDATE ' . $table . '
SET' . $updateData . '
' $conditions,
$data,
$connection
);
}
Bugs creator.
Features destroyer.
Template killer.

Reply #3

I'm more of the way of using something more similar to prepared statements (like the way I wrote it) because you are essentially future proofing it and allowing for more advanced queries.

Reply #4

How would the current query's change to support this, or do they stay the same?

Reply #5

You'd remove the SELECT, UPDATE, DELETE. Everything else is the same. You could even add a check to see if that were in there until you wanted to change all of the queries. Though, if you're changing the $db->query() to $db->select() it doesn't make much sense to not remove SELECT from the query itself.