Skip to main content
Topic: Last Post icon (Read 7362 times) previous topic - next topic

Last Post icon

I am sure not many of you like the current one. Since it is a last post, I made a tag icon instead. Do you approve ?

PS : I have made green and blue variants

Also, which file should I edit to use Font Awesome tag icon on github ?

Re: Last Post icon

Reply #1

That's a tag icon. Doesn't make sense to me.

Reply #2

A Tag is an identification to find something later amongst the crowd. Here it is used to find where you left the thread last time.

PS : Nice to know you are doing freelance. Hope you will be able to help a lot of people.

Reply #3

Interesting way of looking at a tag. Makes more sense but not intuitive for me.

Reply #4

Good explanation of why you chose the tag,  but I'm with Josh on this, seeing that icon I don't think I'd know what it does.  And yes the current one is a bit of a dud.

Not sure what you are asking about on font awesome?

Reply #5

I was meanwhile working on backward button. May be you would like this one.  :)

Reply #6

Why not skip the icon for the last post of a thread completely and use a text link "latest post" (like it is made with forum index)? Problem solved.  ;)

Reply #7

Quote from: Jorin – Why not skip the icon for the last post of a thread completely and use a text link "latest post" (like it is made with forum index)? Problem solved.  ;)
Because it would look horrible to me... And also for design purposes.
~ SimplePortal Support Team ~

Reply #8

I wouldn't be against xenforo behaviour of linking to subject to the first unread message. Though I would point to the latest message in case of no unread (except for guests that would link to the first page of the topic)... yeah, it sounds strange, but I guess it's what everybody does, so after a moment of "adjustment" it would become quite natural.
Bugs creator.
Features destroyer.
Template killer.

Reply #9

Hmm no. If I click on a topic I want it to show the topic, not the last message. If I click onto latest post then I want it to show the unread stuff.
Imagine that in an informative topic but with loads of replies, I'd like to read (or re-read) updated informations, not to read new replies.

Reply #10

Personally, I fully appreciate @emanuele 's suggestion. No one wants to start from old 3-4 read pages before knowing how the thread is updated.

Reply #11

Quote from: Flavio93Zena – Hmm no. If I click on a topic I want it to show the topic, not the last message. If I click onto latest post then I want it to show the unread stuff.
Imagine that in an informative topic but with loads of replies, I'd like to read (or re-read) updated informations, not to read new replies.
It would be quite easy to make this a theme option. Really, all you are doing is changing the link. You could even change it at the user level.

Reply #12

Quote from: Flavio93Zena – Hmm no. If I click on a topic I want it to show the topic, not the last message. If I click onto latest post then I want it to show the unread stuff.
Your example is of course a possibility, but the question is: how many time while you use a forum you have to target the "new" because you want to go to the first unread or the "last message" because you want to go to the last message? And how many time you want to go to the first page of a topic?
In my own personal experience, 95% of the times I want to go to the 1st unread or the latest message, while just a bunch of times I want to really go to the first page of a topic.
Bugs creator.
Features destroyer.
Template killer.

Reply #13

That's what I get for multi-tasking... I think I misunderstood the whole thread.

If you mean that clicking on the "last post" icon on the right will bring you to the last unread then YES.
If you mean that clicking on the topic title link on the left will bring you to the last unread then NO.

That's what I mean.

Reply #14

And then again I ask you a why?
Matter of habit? Or there is a solid reason? ;)
Bugs creator.
Features destroyer.
Template killer.