Skip to main content
Topic: Mail failed for few users (Read 3099 times) previous topic - next topic

Mail failed for few users

Mail sent successfully for few users, for many it failed and i got this error in error log

Re: Mail failed for few users

Reply #1

That means the email is likely not valid and "bounced" back.
Contact the user by PM for example and ask him if the email is a valid one or not.
Bugs creator.
Features destroyer.
Template killer.

Reply #2

@emanuele one of the failed email id is mine. For the first time it failed and second time it went for the same email id. But other email id has issues and they are valid

Reply #3

Is valid in the sense you sent an email and it went? (Just checking to be sure. ;))
Bugs creator.
Features destroyer.
Template killer.

Reply #4

Let me explain what i did, A is my currently used email id and i have registered using that in my forum. When i tried sending an email to this id, it failed for the first time and second time it went.

And valid here is, all email id's are used by users currently no fake or bad ids

Reply #5

How many e-mails did you send? Most shared hosting providers are applying limits to the number of email you can send in an hour. Don't know if this is your case

p.s. do you use the activation by email when a user registers to your community? just to be sure the email used during registration is valid
sorry for my bad english

Reply #6

Quote from: radu81 – p.s. do you use the activation by email when a user registers to your community? just to be sure the email used during registration is valid
Unless the user changed it after registering. ;)
Bugs creator.
Features destroyer.
Template killer.

Reply #7

Changing an email address does not require that the new email should be confirmed (by email) ? If not this is a must have feature, imho
sorry for my bad english

Reply #8

Honestly I have no idea... I never did it and I don't remember this piece of code... lol
Bugs creator.
Features destroyer.
Template killer.

Reply #9

Quote from: radu81 – Changing an email address does not require that the new email should be confirmed (by email) ? If not this is a must have feature, imho

IIRC with SMF this was optional in registration settings. In ElkArte this option seems to be gone.  :o

Reply #10

@radu81 It was around 80 members and i don't use activation by email when a user registers

Reply #11

And you are sure all the 80 emails are actually valid and working emails?
Bugs creator.
Features destroyer.
Template killer.

Reply #12

I suggest you to use it othewise you will have lots of inexistent email address (or bounced address). If you send a newsletter or announce a topic you will send it to inexistent emails and that's not a good practice for the reputation of your domain. in few words, more bounce=less reputation=emails not delivered or marked as spam

I did the same thing on my forum, no activation during registration and I had to clean/delete the bounced and unused accounts manually

sorry for the OT
sorry for my bad english

Reply #13

@emanuele I am sure that 10-15 mail id from that 80 is valid and i know it.

@radu81 Thanks for the suggestion, will enable this feature to avoid issues :)