Skip to main content
Topic: How do you fight Spam ? (Read 8050 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: How do you fight Spam ?

Reply #15

@Spuds I will give it to them with out any problems. They were the ones that got it to work in the first place. Thank you for adding the hooks.

Reply #16

I've noticed a heavy activity of spammers that add some links to coupons in their signatures. Captcha and security questions aren't stopping them :)

Reply #17

Quote from: CrimeS – I've noticed a heavy activity of spammers that add some links to coupons in their signatures. Captcha and security questions aren't stopping them :)
That's why there are mods to fight spam ;) Captcha is borderline useless nowadays, more an hassle for humans than bots.
~ SimplePortal Support Team ~

Reply #18

NoCAPTCHA is pretty effective with spam as far I know.

Reply #19

To be honest, I'm having issues to find these users after an hour. Seems like they're getting cleaned up/removed.

I've no post moderation. All the "coupon" don't post.

Reply #20

Quote from: CrimeS – To be honest, I'm having issues to find these users after an hour. Seems like they're getting cleaned up/removed.
You mean by ElkArte? O_o
Bugs creator.
Features destroyer.
Template killer.

Reply #21

I've no time to track what's actually happening, but seems like it. I usually observe decrease in number of members and I can't find the coupon people.

I can see in the logs that some people don't activate their emails.
QuoteType of error: General
Your email address needs to be validated before you can login. - MatilysGar

Reply #22

Not sure if this is the best thread for this or not, but I've noticed bots spend a lot of time obsessing over the contact form on my forum.  Always seemed odd to me.  Today I realized that "listen to the letters / request another image" is a high impression phrase for my forum and links to the contact page.  (Yes, my forum is very low traffic, that's ok.)  I wonder if bots search google for that phrase and then go to the pages to try and do something.

Should the contact form and other registration related forms be marked "robots" / "noindex"?   They're certainly not pages I want people to discover my forum through as I can't imagine anyone actually interested in the subject of the forum searching for pages like that.

Thoughts?

Also, other than a code edit to the registration controller to add the tag to context['html_headers'] is there a better way to do this as a mod?

Reply #23

Considering spammers will not likely care about noindex/robots/nofollow/etc., it may not be the best place, but okay. :P

I'd not edit the code, but I'd try to use the integrate_action_*, in that case it could be integrate_action_register_before (or after, it should be the same).
Bugs creator.
Features destroyer.
Template killer.

Reply #24

The directive is not for the bots to respect, but to remove the page from search engines so scripts or bots can't find it there.  As I said it is a common search engine driver to my forum even though it is completely generic.

Looking at the who page here I see several guests parked on the contact page as well.

Thanks on the hook.

Reply #25

Sorry, I won't give away the details of my secret, but there is an easy way to prevent spammers.  It's highly effective too.  The reason it remains secret is if it were to somehow become widely used, it would be worthwhile for them to program bots accordingly.  Anyway, get creative with your registration question.  The only antispam I have is a single question.  One.   ;)

Reply #26

I've seen your question, sir, you are genius ;D
~ SimplePortal Support Team ~