Skip to main content
Topic: Last Post icon (Read 7359 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Last Post icon

Reply #15

@Flavio93Zena the suggestion is to click on the topic link (the one with the title/subject) and it would bring you to the first unread post (the same thing clicking "new" does now).

Reply #16

Then the "no" was right for me.
~ SimplePortal Support Team ~

Reply #17

And the question I asked you is still unanswered. :P

Joking apart, that suggestion is nothing new, it's mostly the behaviour of xenforo (for those that don't know it, the forum script currently replacing... actually that has almost replaced vbulletin in celebrity), except for the "bring to the last if no unread" that is a my addition because it really looks more natural to me.
Let's recap:
  • you are a member:
    • a brand new topic, never read => click on the subject brings you to the first message of the topic (basically the same as now)
    • a topic you already read, with new messages => click on the subject brings you to the first unread message in the topic
    • a topic you already read until the end => click on the subject brings you to the last message of the topic
    • to go to the first page of the topic you still have the list of pages next to the subject
  • you are a guest:
    • the subject brings you to the first page of the topic

This is in my own personal experience[1] what is done most of the times: you either go to the first unread or to the last. All the other cases (namely go to the first page) are usually "special cases" due to the fact one topic has some particular aspect (e.g. is a sticky with the rules of the board or some other info).
Of course being this my experience is a bit limited, so I'm open to others' approaches. ;)
If you have other experiences, please bring them up!! ;D
Bugs creator.
Features destroyer.
Template killer.

Reply #18

I kind of already said the reasons before... :|
I'd do what you say but on the last message icon, rather than topic subject, it would make a lot more sense to me.

Reply #19

Quote from: emanuele – I wouldn't be against xenforo behaviour of linking to subject to the first unread message. Though I would point to the latest message in case of no unread (except for guests that would link to the first page of the topic)... yeah, it sounds strange, but I guess it's what everybody does, so after a moment of "adjustment" it would become quite natural.
That is happening only when you are in "Unread topics", if you browse the forum a click to subject will bring you to the first post
sorry for my bad english

Reply #20

The behaviour is same at adminforum.in . Just in case anyone want to test.

Reply #21

If you go to thread title takes you to new or last if there are no new posts then I think where the new icon used to live there should be an icon that takes you to the start of the thread.

Reply #22

The way Xenforo does it, and the way that makes sense to me, is to link the date to the first message.

Reply #23

Burning Board is almost a clone of Xenforo. It takes you to last unread post. If you are new to thread, it will take you to the first post. I am almost sure that Xenforo does the same as well.
Last Edit: October 11, 2015, 08:58:53 pm by Wizard

Reply #24

Make it an admin, or better, an user-setting.

Reply #25

It's a cool feature @Flavio93Zena . You need to use it to know how useful it is.

Reply #26

So the idea would be to "consolidate" the three things in to a single "smart" control ...  the current subject link would be first/new/last depending on what you have done.  Then drop the last post icon (which would be good IMO since its often out of place in custom themes).  Did I get that correctly?