Skip to main content
Topic: Display of the IP in the poster info (Read 5319 times) previous topic - next topic

Display of the IP in the poster info

I think, this one is since the 1.1.2 here on ElkArte.net

The own IP is displayed like this:

Re: Display of the IP in the poster info

Reply #1

It is shown to a moderator may be but not a member, right?

Reply #2

Looks good here at elkarte.net, Ruth. Everything okay, the IP is shown correctly. Mine and other's IPs.

Reply #3

It is just my own IP, which is looking like this.
I can't see another IP here as a member. Other poster profiles are looking proper to me.

Jorin, are you using IE?

It is the same in Opera and Firefox for me.

Reply #4

Right, your IP looks like the image you posted. Uh, strange!  :o

Reply #5

Quote from: Ruth – I think, this one is since the 1.1.2 here on ElkArte.net

The own IP is displayed like this:
hmm... that is an IP address. An IPv6 to be picky.
What is exactly the problem?
Bugs creator.
Features destroyer.
Template killer.

Reply #6

The unusual look, Emanuele. ;)

It was not like this a few days ago here on ElkArte.net. This IP has not enough space in the poster info and a break. My IP is not displayed like this in other ElkArte-Forums. I don't have an "IPv6" as far as I know, I have a "normal" IP.

I thought, every IP would be displayed like this now with 1.1.2 - and would not be possible to track for me.

Reply #7

This is my IP from a post right now in my testforum:

IP_aktuell.jpg

And:

Is the hostname gone in the profiles? Or should admins see them?
There is no entry for them in the profiles in my testforum:

Hostname.jpg

The same reason maybe?

Last Edit: March 06, 2018, 01:05:39 pm by Ruth

Reply #8

Quote from: Ruth – I don't have an "IPv6" as far as I know, I have a "normal" IP.
Well, probably your provider is upgrading his infrastructure and is moving to IPv6:
https://apps.db.ripe.net/db-web-ui/#/query?searchtext=2003:71:8e08:9690:613f:b72b:3ea4:835d#resultsSection
this is the IP you currently have and is assigned to Deutsche Telekom AG, so... it seems from your area, I don't know if this is actually your provider, of course.

Quote from: Ruth – I thought, every IP would be displayed like this now with 1.1.2 - and would not be possible to track for me.
Nope, it's the internet that is changing... and the IP is going to be pretty much useless for tracking.
Also, I'm not that keen in widening the profile area just to accommodate the IP, at best I would truncate it.
Bugs creator.
Features destroyer.
Template killer.

Reply #9

Quote from: Ruth – Is the hostname gone in the profiles? Or should admins see them?
There is no entry for them in the profiles in my testforum:

[attach type=thumb]5631[/attach]
Do you have "Disable hostname lookups" disabled?
Bugs creator.
Features destroyer.
Template killer.

Reply #10

Yes, but I don't understand, why my IP can be different at the same time here on ElkArte.net and in my testforum?

It is just another kind of display but the same IP?

QuoteDo you have "Disable hostname lookups" disabled?

I don't know... O:-)  Where can I do this?

Reply #11

Quote from: Ruth – Yes, but I dont understand, why my IP can be different at the same time here on ElkArte.net and in my testorum?

It is just another kind of display but the same IP?
I'm not that expert, but I guess if the server doesn't support IPv6, then maybe the network falls back to an IIPv4 one.

Quote from: Ruth –
QuoteDo you have "Disable hostname lookups" disabled?

I don't know... O:-)  Where can I do this?
Somewhere in the admin panel. xD
I guess server settings?
Bugs creator.
Features destroyer.
Template killer.

Reply #12

That one? Something like  "Disable Hostname-search"?  It is looking like this:

Reply #13

The host is a bug. :P
I have the fix locally.
Bugs creator.
Features destroyer.
Template killer.

Reply #14

Thank you, Emanuele.

I am trying to figure out since days what could be wrong about the poster info and the profiles in my testforum, that the E-Mail and the website is not displayed in the poster info - and this issue about my "strange" IP here on ElkArte.net and the missing hostname entry in the profiles was puzzling me very much.

Quote I'm not that keen in widening the profile area just to accommodate the IP, at best I would truncate it.

So such long IPs like mine here can be displayed "shorter" in future? Would be nice. This break is looking ugly.  ;)

Quote...this is the IP you currently have and is assigned to Deutsche Telekom AG, so... it seems from your area, I don't know if this is actually your provider, of course.

I think, it is not really my IP. It is the IP or the location of my provider (Deutsche Telekom AG) in Darmstadt, a town in the middle of Germany (Prussia), :P  which is far away from my town. My "normal" IP shows always very close (not more than about 25 km distance) the place, where I live: Deep in the south-east of Germany (Bavaria) ;)

A lot of people in Germany have the same provider as I have. So maybe they all will have the same IPv6 in future? If so, it would no longer be possible for me to look, if members do things, which they are not allowed to do, for example, to give their password to people we had excluded from our community.

And what is about bans by IP?  It would not work with such an IP, which would belong to almost every german user in our forum.