Skip to main content
Topic: Hopefully not dumb questions (Read 2703 times) previous topic - next topic

Hopefully not dumb questions

Hi All,
First post here.  I looked for a FAQ but don't see one.
I saw that this software is available, you have a few people that are hot about it so I figured I'd stop by. I also see that this is a fork off of SMF, which I use.
I use PhotoPost as a gallery on the site and is does support SMF.  Does this mean that you also support this (or it's still compatible)?
I have not downloaded the S/W yet as I am not clear what and how it operates.
Does it use the same principle of Package Manager for mod installation?  Does it have mods or does it support mods yet?

I'm sure I will have a few more questions.
Thanks in advance,
Rick

Re: Hopefully not dumb questions

Reply #1

Welcome!

As Elkarte is a fork of SMF, it shares some similar features. In addition, Elkarte also has some extra features (the main ones are highlighted on the home page). Using Elkarte is very much like using SMF.

Particular mods, however, probably will need to be reworked in order to function on Elkarte. You could always try the specific mod you are talking about, but more than likely it will need to be updated to work with Elkarte. You could contact the mod author to ask if s/he is interested in doing such.

Re: Hopefully not dumb questions

Reply #2

Welcome!

mods, we call them addon's (to try and encourage/distinguish the use of hooks and extend etc vs actual source code modification) are located in this board: http://www.elkarte.net/community/index.php?board=12.0

In general unless it is a very simplistic change they will need to be changed to work with ElkArte.  I've not heard of PhotoPost but I'd imagine that will need some updates to work.

It does use the package manager where you download and install / uninstall as normal.  Like Eliana said, this is a fork of SMF so many aspects of how to use it will be familiar to SMF users.  The layout of the code under the hood has gone through a lot of updating to bring it to more modern standards, and that effort will continue (1.1 is already under development :D)

We really need to generate a better list of built in features, we highlighted the big ones on the home page but there are many more nice things like built in embedding for some video sites, quote splitting, utf8 only, html5/css3, follow on topics, footnotes, spoilers, drag and drop file attachment, drag and drop actions in the admin panel, 2 theme variants included, etc etc