Skip to main content
Topic: Support for 1.0.x (Read 5629 times) previous topic - next topic

Support for 1.0.x

I know I wrote about it at least once or twice, but I can't find the topics now. xD

Well, TL;DR: I was thinking that it's already 7 months 1.1 was released and there are 14 bug reports at github (13 open, 1 closed).
I'd say that a sane model would be decide is we want to do a "final release" closing some of the bus reported and stop the support let's say in... October, after 1 year of dual support.
To me, it would mean end both non-security and security related support, it would just mean "close" the branch and stop development.

Originally, I think my plan was to stop support after 6 months, but despite some instability in 1.1, I think that a year is good enough.

Opinions?
Bugs creator.
Features destroyer.
Template killer.

Re: Support for 1.0.x

Reply #1

I am not sure, if I understood your post proper, Emanuele, sorry.  O:-)

We have some problems in our migrated forum.  At the moment I think the upgrade to 1.1. would not be possible, it would be a "restriction" for us . So maybe this forum has to stay in 1.0.10 "for ever".

The portal is not ready to use it with our theme/our custom.css in my testforum, which is running with 1.1.3. I have tried to do the neccecary changings in our custom.css during the last months, but there are still some problems, which I can't solve. ::)  So I think, that I have to create a competley new theme, based on the default of 1.1., before we can try the upgrade with our live-forum.

But I want to wait with a new theme until the portal is ready and working without mistakes with 1.1. This would be much easier for me.

If I am not successful with this, we have to stay in 1.0.10. So there will be no longer support for this...and a "security risk" in future?

Reply #2

Personally I would say bug fix support for 1 year, followed by Security Update support for a further year.

If that's to much effort, providing I can access the repo and have some help with creating the first patch then I don't mind doing the further year of Security Updates ( Obviously that requires trust from you and I'm not going to be annoyed if you feel you don't know me well enough for that )

Reply #3

Quote from: Ruth – I am not sure, if I understood your post proper, Emanuele, sorry.  O:-)

Let my try to explain in our mother language.

1.1 wurde vor 7 Monaten veröffentlicht, momentan sind 14 Bugs gemeldet (13 noch offen, 1 erledigt). Emanuele würde gerne nach einem Jahr parallelem Support für 1.0 und 1.1 den Support für 1.0 einstellen, nachdem eventuelle dort noch vorhandene Bugs geschlossen wurden.

Er widerspricht sich dann ein wenig mit dem Support bei Sicherheitslücken, aber ich denke, er möchte auch diese Art Support nach einem Jahr für die 1.0 dann einstellen. Es ist für Entwickler auch schwer, zwei Versionen einer Software parallel über einen längeren Zeitraum mit Updates zu versorgen, erst recht, wenn dies als Hobby betrieben wird.

Er hatte mal angekündigt, den Support für 1.0 schon nach 6 Monaten nach der Veröffentlichung der 1.1 einzustellen. Daher denkt er, 1 Jahr ist mehr als genug.

Reply #4

Quote from: emanuele – I know I wrote about it at least once or twice, but I can't find the topics now. xD

Well, TL;DR: I was thinking that it's already 7 months 1.1 was released and there are 14 bug reports at github (13 open, 1 closed).
I'd say that a sane model would be decide is we want to do a "final release" closing some of the bus reported and stop the support let's say in... October, after 1 year of dual support.
To me, it would mean end both non-security and security related support, it would just mean "close" the branch and stop development.

Originally, I think my plan was to stop support after 6 months, but despite some instability in 1.1, I think that a year is good enough.

Opinions?

OMG your post is very confusing...sad i am bad in understanding it.

Reply #5

I lost track of this one. xD

Quote from: tino – If that's to much effort, providing I can access the repo
The general repo is open... actually, you are right, there is a closed repo for security development, I forgot about it. xD
I guess it wouldn't be an issue give you access. :)

And for the patch creation, is not a terribly big issue, it's usually more difficult to remember everything there is to do. xD
Bugs creator.
Features destroyer.
Template killer.

Reply #6

Just hijacking this one to save starting another thread. ;)

What's the general roadmap for Elk these days? Do you have a plan for how long you intend to support the 1.1.x branch?

ETA: I'm mainly wondering about security patches here. Not really worried about bugs or features.
Master of Expletives: Now with improved family f@&king friendliness! :D

Sources code: making easy front end changes difficult since 1873. :P