Skip to main content
Topic: Likes Layout (Read 9428 times) previous topic - next topic

Likes Layout

Down to this (again :P) on my list

There are suggestions to change a few things about likes so wanted to list them and maybe set some direction. 

First up is the old icon, today its the Star with a +/- this was chosen as a kind of neutral image in that the thumbs image does have some less than acceptable meaning in some cultures.  That said the thumbs image is also become the defacto standard on that and if its not right for some, well its easy to change.  I've attached two images we could use for the add a like and remove a like you gave.

Next on the old list is topic likes.  Right now the likes shown on the topic listing are for likes given to the topic, this being esoterically defined as liking the first post in a thread.  Other likes do not count towards the topic like, only those given to the first post.  So should that stay the way it is, to me is seems like the main counter is not going to move much, or should any like given go to the topic total and be shown on the main topic listing (where you can sort by likes)

Lastly (maybe) is how we display when a post has likes.  Right now we keep everything combined in that single button / location.  It will show if you can add a like, remove a like, as well as the total count of likes and when you hover, who liked it.  I kind of like this as its contained in one area and does not clutter the UI with a bunch of crud (it supposed to be about the content you liked, not the like :P).  One suggestion was to keep the current button as add/remove but have a separate indicator in a different location for the total and who liked it.  Personally I think this will be a problem, finding a place for it since we also have other things that optionally occupy room on the ui, such as quick moderation check-box, last edit by, etc etc

So what do folks like ?

Re: Likes Layout

Reply #1

The first one is probably better, as you really don't have a Dislike button. Simply un-Liking a post does not imply that the post is Disliked. The second version of Un-Like seems to look more like Dislike, rather than a removal of the Like.

Reply #2

I agree, the first one seems to fit better.

Reply #3

+1. I had in mind as a suggestion. Current like button looks  a bit odd. But was not sure how people will receive it and hence kept quiet. Nice suggestion, first one will be better. But I guess if we can go a bit unconventional and find something different, it will be nice.

Reply #4

I like stars as well (probably coming from github UI), but if the idea is to change, then probably what ET said makes sense.
Bugs creator.
Features destroyer.
Template killer.

Reply #5

In my old SMF forum, we simply used a button which turns green when clicked " Like ". It was a css button with green background and white text. Just throwing some ideas.  ;)

Reply #6

I'll update the sprite to use the first image(s) sounds like most folks are thumbs up on that :P  May toy around with a border color once a post is liked (on that button), to give it slightly more prominence as well.

Any thoughts on the counter question?  Right now on the topics listing page, we show a likes column along with views and replies.  The only way that likes number is increased is by liking the first post of a topic, if you like another post in the thread, it does not increase the top level counter as the system considers that a post not a topic like.

Reply #7

Honestly I don't know...
The likes are stored only in one place or in multiple? (I mean the likes on the first message are tracked only in the messages table? /me haz a mess and can't find this info... truth is I'm lazy. :P)
Bugs creator.
Features destroyer.
Template killer.

Reply #8

I've updated the graphics on this site so we can take a look ... also added the green border to the like button when it has likes to provide it slightly more prominence as a test.  May have to refresh since I changed the JS, images and template.

QuoteThe likes are stored only in one place or in multiple?
Multiple :P ... The one for the main listing is in the topics table and individual post likes are stored in the message table,  Easy to update the topic table when a post is liked / unliked so no real performance impact in that regard.

With it only being the first topic, as it is now, I'm not sure even showing it on the main index is needed as it will always be a very low number (I would think), so why show a zero most of the time?

Reply #9

Keep it is nice I think, though you are right: show 0 most of the times is a waste, maybe shown it only when there is something to see.

Also I would drop the "post" from the button label.
Bugs creator.
Features destroyer.
Template killer.

Reply #10

Is it nice now :thumbsup:

Reply #11

They look great, nice job

Reply #12

Okay, honestly, it's a bit confusing right now. The Like post button has a thumbs up and a green icon, so it almost seems like every post is liked by default.

Why not a blank (or unsaturated) thumb for default, and colored/green + when liked? That way it doesn't look like I've Liked (god that's an awkward sentence) every post so far.

Reply #13

When there are two states the "correct" thing to show is always difficult: do you show the action you can do, or the one you've already done?

For example, in this case you could have both the current state:
  • "+" when you can like it
  • "-" when you can unlike it
or otherwise:
  • neutral when not liked by you,
  • + when liked by you
of course in this second case it becomes implicit that on 1), a click would like and on 2) a click would remove the like.

In these cases I'm never sure what's best.

Another small tweak I would propose: instead of "xx Likes", just "xx Like" (i.e. singular instead of plural). Does it make sense?
Bugs creator.
Features destroyer.
Template killer.

Reply #14

The behavior did not change, all I did was change from a Star to a Thumb  :'(

(+) is on the icon when you can add a like
(-) when you can remove one you previously gave

The text will say  either
+ Like <-- no likes on a post and you can give one
- X Likes <-- there are likes on a post, one is yours and you can remove it
+ X Likes <-- there are likes on a post, but you have not liked it

QuoteAnother small tweak I would propose: instead of "xx Likes", just "xx Like" (i.e. singular instead of plural). Does it make sense?
I'm not sure it would look good if it says "7 Like" you could add "this post" but thats to long and does not work with 1.  You could also flip the order so instead of 7 Likes you could do Likes: (7) more of a counter then a sentence so the plurality does not get in the way.