Skip to main content
Topic: SEO and switching domains (Read 3624 times) previous topic - next topic

SEO and switching domains

Hello! Does anyone have some experience with changing the domains and trying "move" google positions onto the new one? My studiocrimes domain is on first pages for 8+ phrases. As you know we're merging it into daydream.work, but the SEO side of carrying out that action is a mystery to me  :'(

Re: SEO and switching domains

Reply #2

You can inform Google of domain change. I guess you need to do before you perform domain change. There is some link to do this.

Reply #4

Hmmm, this sounds good! Thank you!

Reply #5

Yup, 301 redirect is the key. nods
Better if you are able to redirect each page to the corresponding one on the new domain.
Bugs creator.
Features destroyer.
Template killer.

Reply #6

SMF -> Elkarte should be okay to redirect :D

Reply #7

I guess so. :P
What I meant, actually, is that you should be sure to (for example) redirect "olddomain.tld/index.php?topic=123" to "newdomain.tld/index.php?topic=123" and not everything to "newdomain.tld/".
Bugs creator.
Features destroyer.
Template killer.

Reply #8

And that's how I read it :D It would be a good idea to do that for elkartestudio as well. Under premium phrases we're first in google, bing and yahoo :)

I'll try to figure out how to do these redirections :D

Reply #9

I assume you want to merge the two forums?
If so, the easiest way may be to use a php script sending a 301 header in order to do the redirect. So that you have only to write an array of from => to topic/message ids.
Bugs creator.
Features destroyer.
Template killer.

Reply #10

The plan is to switch studiocrimes to daydream, and convert main forum to Elkarte. Then, after it's successful I would like to update daydream with elkartestudio positions and content.

Reply #11

What you have to do is, once you import content of ElkArte Studio to DayDream forum, simply use 301 redirect so that every old ElkArte Studio forum point to DayDream forum url with the same content.

Reply #12

Quote from: emanuele – I assume you want to merge the two forums?
If so, the easiest way may be to use a php script sending a 301 header in order to do the redirect. So that you have only to write an array of from => to topic/message ids.
I think it would be easier to use .htaccess with a wildcard: http://stackoverflow.com/questions/6877486/how-can-i-use-htaccess-to-redirect-paths-with-a-wildcard-character