Skip to main content
Topic: My Take On Elkarte (Read 15644 times) previous topic - next topic

My Take On Elkarte

There should be some kind of law against how fast Elkarte is. No seriously, it's the only forum software I've found that is faster than Xenforo.

There is only one thing I hate about Elkarte and it's because of all the hover effects. I personally don't like them, but even so there is too many. I use my mouse wheel to scroll, and the mouse just automatically hovers over everything. I think click events are better, because it doesn't change the view of the page without them.

Things I would have done differently are:

1.| Condense editor buttons into category buttons(groups) that open on click(or hover). This would also help save space, especially on mobile.

2.| Turn main menu into a drop-down for mobile devices. Takes up too much room. Same goes for all other menus.

3.| Typography needs a overhaul.

4.| Add Microdata & HTML5 tags , it's helps loads with SEO, and is easy to implement.

Keep up the good work.

Just my 2cents...

Re: My Take On Elkarte

Reply #1

Thank you the feedback.
As for the hover effects: ya know that option "use click to open menus, instead of hover to open."? It's under my account -> look and layout.

Thorsten "TE" Eurich
------------------------

Reply #2

Quote from: Xarcell – There should be some kind of law against how fast Elkarte is. No seriously, it's the only forum software I've found that is faster than Xenforo.
ROFL!
Not fast enough though. :P

Quote from: Xarcell – There is only one thing I hate about Elkarte and it's because of all the hover effects. I personally don't like them, but even so there is too many. I use my mouse wheel to scroll, and the mouse just automatically hovers over everything. I think click events are better, because it doesn't change the view of the page without them.
O_o
Really so many?
As far as I can see/remember, apart from the menus, there is just the one over the poster/s area and the "more" button/s

Quote from: Xarcell – 1.| Condense editor buttons into category buttons(groups) that open on click(or hover). This would also help save space, especially on mobile.
Interesting idea, in particular for the mobile!

Quote from: Xarcell – 2.| Turn main menu into a drop-down for mobile devices. Takes up too much room. Same goes for all other menus.
There is some discussion about that somewhere, don't remember any more where, but I think TE did some more work on them in comparison to what you can see at the moment here on the site.

emanuele has almost no idea what typography is LOL

Quote from: Xarcell – 4.| Add Microdata & HTML5 tags , it's helps loads with SEO, and is easy to implement.
That can probably be a "mid term" improvement goal.

Thanks! :)
Bugs creator.
Features destroyer.
Template killer.

Reply #3

Xarcell, wait until you test Wedge on your local server. :D

Elk is definitely fast enough for my tastes, though. It's just that I'm obsessive about bandwidth savings.

Reply #4

Ohh... you meant fast in term of load time?
I thought devel-time... :P
Bugs creator.
Features destroyer.
Template killer.

Reply #5

It's fast enough on that level too. ;)
Spuds has something like 1700 commits in a year of so iirc but that really doesn't compare with my 1600 commits (in twice the time) for wedge because guy commits are often single line fixes when in svn I tended to mix as many fixes as possible together. Thematic commits rather than thematic merges, if you will.
So it doesn't really say who's fastest I guess. But you guys are so committed to Elk, it makes me proud. And I don't even have anything to do with Elk lol.

Oh maybe I could run some stats within the Wedge repo and compare by lines added and removed. Hmmmmmmm maybe not knowing is for the best. Plus I tend to commit less buggy code, thus have no need to fix it later. Eheh.

-- your favorite evil deranged.

Reply #6

'Git' not 'guy'. Sorry. Spell checker in Android.

Reply #7

Lines added/removed can be tricky because of the many files we have moved around in that year, if you have a look at ohloh stats:
https://www.ohloh.net/p/ElkArte/commits/summary
we have added and removed an insane (and unreliable) number of lines (in the last year +3 M / -2.2 M, where M = millions).
To have "meaningful" statistics the commits dealing with moving files should be removed (even though there may be some underestimation due to changes made while moving files too, but probably less than the current overestimation).
Bugs creator.
Features destroyer.
Template killer.

Reply #8

Quote from: Nao – Oh maybe I could run some stats within the Wedge repo and compare by lines added and removed. Hmmmmmmm maybe not knowing is for the best. Plus I tend to commit less buggy code, thus have no need to fix it later. Eheh.

-- your favorite evil deranged.
LOL ... true that, 1/2 my commits start with the description Doh! I should not have done that  :D

Reply #9

And the other half starts with "Doh! Someone (eman) broke it"? :P
Bugs creator.
Features destroyer.
Template killer.

Reply #10

hahaha, my favorite one is "uupps.."  :D
Thorsten "TE" Eurich
------------------------