Skip to main content
Topic: It looks like Settings.php and/or Settings_bak.php are missing... (Read 1144 times) previous topic - next topic

It looks like Settings.php and/or Settings_bak.php are missing...

I'm starting out installing ElkArte and I'm getting this message.*1

QuoteNote!
It looks like Settings.php and/or Settings_bak.php are missing from the default directory of your forum, ElkArte will try to rename the sample files provided with the installation. If this operation fails, please rename Settings.sample.php and Settings_bak.sample.php respectively to Settings.php and Setting_bak.php before running this script.

Anything to worry about?

Dearly regards
- Darkijah

*1 I've just installed SMF 2.0.17 and next is ElkArte 1.1.6 :) - and then I need to try out themes for mobility and see if there is anything good to start out with and get some more feeling of it all.

Re: It looks like Settings.php and/or Settings_bak.php are missing...

Reply #1

Ehh, the installation seemed to skip Step 2: Existance Check Step 3: Writable Check??? Something I need to be worried about.
It jumped direct to step 4.

Dearly regards
- Darkijah

Reply #2

I think MySQL database it to be picked correct? I have 2 choices of SQL. PostgrebSQL or something like that...

What does this?
QuoteUse the database for sessions instead of using files.
This feature is almost always for the best, as it makes sessions more dependable.

Well nearing my goal of installation I guess - lets see if everything goes smoothly.

Is this like a second password, can one change it afterwards?
QuoteDatabase Password
The installer requires that you supply the database password to create an administrator account, for security reasons.

Okay the last thing, the chmod I'm not entirely sure of, but I guess it wants me to right click on the files and make them so they cannot be edited... I guess... What specific files do I need to do it with, or folders? All of them or...
QuoteCongratulations, the installation process is complete!

If at any time you need support, or the forum fails to work properly, please remember that help is available if you need it.
Your installation directory is still writable. It's a good idea to chmod it so that it is not writable for security reasons.

Click here to try to delete the install directory now. (doesn't work on all servers.)

Now you can see your newly installed forum and begin to use it. You should first make sure you are logged in, after which you will be able to access the administration center.

Thanks for installing ElkArte!

Reply #3

Pictures :D Both installed, so far so good. Lets get on downloading Themes.

Primary looking for black themes, and of cause they need to be mobile ready.

Well, lets move on. Ohh, by the way a Question. Why is it forums needs databases??? Why not just use a folder on the FTP... Just makes things more complicated with needing to fix these databases and going through it and all that. Not making it easier for newbies and the small people overall who knows little about such things. There must be some technical thing as of why or why not?

Dearly regards
- Darkijah

Reply #4

Quote from: Darkijah – What does this?
QuoteUse the database for sessions instead of using files.
This feature is almost always for the best, as it makes sessions more dependable.
User sessions are usually stored on the server. Where depends. IIRC, on linux may by default be stored in /tmp/.
Storing the session in the database makes them a little more reliable avoiding for example a shared space among all the users of a certain server (i.e. shared hosting).

Quote from: Darkijah – Is this like a second password, can one change it afterwards?
QuoteDatabase Password
The installer requires that you supply the database password to create an administrator account, for security reasons.
Not even close. It's just a security feature, the password is checked a second time to verify the person creating the admin account is actually the one that is supposed to be creating it.
Since the installer is accessible from the web, it may happen that someone could create an admin account using it. Though asking to insert the database password makes it harder for an attacker to exploit this path.

Quote from: Darkijah – Okay the last thing, the chmod I'm not entirely sure of, but I guess it wants me to right click on the files and make them so they cannot be edited... I guess... What specific files do I need to do it with, or folders? All of them or...
Depends on the operating system, that I'm not sure you have mentioned.
On linux it's usually setting them to 755 and 644. On windows... I'm not sure how permissions are enforced.
Bugs creator.
Features destroyer.
Template killer.

Reply #5

Nice that answered a lot of things, although not sure I understand the hosting overall, or what is IIRC a short form of. But overall, keep it in the database for the best result, right.

In regards of the Password - Ahhh, I see, I seem to have misread and misunderstood it. I understand now.

I'm using Windows mostly at the moment, although have Linux as well, but still somewhat newbie to Linux sadly. I did move to Linux, but sadly ended up going back because of a stupid game of waste of time known as Diable 3. :/ Very stupid move overall.

Anyway thanks for the answers - Can't remember what the number represent but I have an idea, at least in regards of Linux and I can further look it up. Maybe the FTP have something of the numbers - but what files needs to be readable only, Just the install folder?

Thanks!

Reply #6

It doesn't matter the O.S. (win or linux) you are using on your PC, Ema was talking about the O.S. installed on your hosting.
sorry for my bad english

Reply #7

Quote from: radu81 – It doesn't matter the O.S. (win or linux) you are using on your PC, Ema was talking about the O.S. installed on your hosting.
Oh, got that wrong - I have no idea what they use. I would think Linux, as that is usual the thing used as far as I know.