Skip to main content
Topic: Should categories have their own page? (Read 3062 times) previous topic - next topic

Should categories have their own page?

I see that request from time to time.

What I mean is that at the moment the url to the category "Elk Development" is just:
Code: [Select]
http://www.elkarte.net/community/index.php#c1
so it points to an anchor in BoardIndex, while from time to time it's requested to have a page that would list only the boards within the category.
In other words, the View Single Category mod by SleePy.

It's one of those things I don't have any clear preference.

That said, if the preference is "let them have their own page", I wonder if keep the distinction between categories and boards is still relevant.
Bugs creator.
Features destroyer.
Template killer.

Re: Should categories have their own page?

Reply #1

Sometimes it's nice to have a single category page where the first-level child boards get more real-estate, a la vBulletin.

Otherwise, In My not-so-Humble-anymore Opinion*., they're useless unless you have a seriously huge board, which is seriously well-organized and someone is seriously only interested in this one well-organized category. Seriously.

*Okay, what's the big idea with making I.M.H.O. turn into IMHO?

Reply #2

Quote*Okay, what's the big idea with making I.M.H.O. turn into I'm right, your wrong.?
Who knows, I just put in all sorts of stuff when I did that ... I removed it fer ya, now go forth and be honest or is it  humble?  I guess honest, can an opinion be humble or is that ironic?  Heck  I'll go with honest.

Reply #3

That's something I always wondered about.
The "common" interpretation is "humble", though it always looks to me kind of ironic, so I'd prefer IMO, but that one sounds harsh, so...
 emanuele has an headache now...
Bugs creator.
Features destroyer.
Template killer.

Reply #4

Quote from: emanuele – That's something I always wondered about.
The "common" interpretation is "humble", though it always looks to me kind of ironic, so I'd prefer IMO, but that one sounds harsh, so...
 emanuele has an headache now...

The irony is intended.

Reply #5

Sounds like something that would make sense as a way of viewing the categories/boards.