Skip to main content
Topic: Notify me if I am quoted (Read 12006 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Notify me if I am quoted

Reply #15

Looks sweeeeeet :D

Reply #17

Looks good. But don't forget to offer a way not to be informed after all.

- no alert and no e-mail (no notification)
- only alert, no e-mail
- immediate e-mail, no alert
- daily e-mail, no alert
- weekly e-mail, no alert

What do you think?

Reply #18

Quote from: Jorin – - no alert and no e-mail (no notification)
This is just remove the tick to the checkbox.

That means tick and no email (first option).

Quote from: Jorin – - immediate e-mail, no alert
- daily e-mail, no alert
- weekly e-mail, no alert
Actually I designed it exactly to always have the alert and additionally emails (or other ways with addons).
Bugs creator.
Features destroyer.
Template killer.

Reply #19

Ah, okay. A bit of misunderstanding.  O:-)

Reply #20

I thought it was rather straightforward: want notification yes/no, if yes "how".

What would you see?
Bugs creator.
Features destroyer.
Template killer.

Reply #21

You're right, I'm wrong. Looking at the screenshot again it is now clear. It's different than we know from SMF and other ElkArte options, but it's totally clear when you can read.  O:-)

Reply #22

If it is not clear "at first sight" it may be a problem, so if you have suggestions feel free to share. ;D

Actually, to take in consideration there is also the fact that the screenshot is static, you cannot interact with it and see what happens on the various elements... :(
Bugs creator.
Features destroyer.
Template killer.

Reply #23

Hm, the more I look at it, the more I like it.  :D

Maybe you should try to change all settings and options to the same style? One button to activate/deactivate an option and right behind it the list of possible options. Like in your screenshot. Seems better then the checkpoint to activate/deactivate and the list of options in a new row then, like it is in SMF and ElkArte now.

And while you are at it, clean the admin backend and make it more efficient and transparent please.  O:-)  I think @radu81 made some suggestions before how you could try this. I could make a small sketch if you want.  ;)

ElkArte has a lot to offer, many functions and options to change. But the backend is some kind of mixed up and I often have to search a few pages for the function I need (although I am using SMF and ElkArte for roundabout thirteen years now).

Edit: Here's a little experiment:
http://www.elkarte.net/community/index.php?topic=2625.0

Reply #24

ehm... yes, I myself do use the search in the admin panel quite often! LOL

For the notifications I's my intention to turn that way most if not all of them, for the rest of the options it depends on what they do, but it may be something to consider.
And I agree also on the "cleanup & re-organize" of the admin panel, it's not something "easy"[1], but it would be a very nice thing to have. nods

One thing I worked on (and still have to polish it up) is the addons/modules[2], that now can be all enabled before use in a central place (but as I said that's still something I'm working on and I still have to clear up my mind as well).
In the sense that it will take a bit of time and maybe rethink some parts
Do not concentrate on what a "module" is, just take it like that, they exists. lol
Bugs creator.
Features destroyer.
Template killer.

Reply #25

Looking again at screenshot I feel it's not very clear that the mention is always sent... there may be to tweak the wording.
Bugs creator.
Features destroyer.
Template killer.

Reply #26

How about:

[ ] Mention and: (Dropdown: No Email, Immediate Email, Daily Email, Weekly Email)

Reply #27

Good idea Eliana! Will try!

Quick question: at the moment I set up a way to restrict some methods by the "notification system" (for example for likes I disabled the emails).
Now I was preparing the admin panel and I started thinking: why not give admins the option to enabled/disable some ways to notify instead of leaving it to the "code"?
What would you think?
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Let's put it that way: should the code be responsible for not allowing members to ask for immediate notification by email on likes, or should be the admin able to decide that based on his/her possibilities? (i.e. good mail server/service for the forum that is not recognized as spammer even if it sends out a lot of very similar emails in maybe a short period of time)
Bugs creator.
Features destroyer.
Template killer.

Reply #28

Quote from: emanuele – Good idea Eliana! Will try!

Quick question: at the moment I set up a way to restrict some methods by the "notification system" (for example for likes I disabled the emails).
Now I was preparing the admin panel and I started thinking: why not give admins the option to enabled/disable some ways to notify instead of leaving it to the "code"?
What would you think?
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Let's put it that way: should the code be responsible for not allowing members to ask for immediate notification by email on likes, or should be the admin able to decide that based on his/her possibilities? (i.e. good mail server/service for the forum that is not recognized as spammer even if it sends out a lot of very similar emails in maybe a short period of time)

Makes sense to me.

I like the ability for admins on heavily-stressed servers to turn off immediate emails, for example. Restricting to a Daily Email/Weekly Email would relieve a lot of stress, especially since those could be scheduled to sent out a non-peak periods.

Some admins might even prefer to turn off emails altogether and only rely on notifications.

Reply #29

Agreed. It is a should have for admin.