Skip to main content
Topic: What's in a name, they said. (Read 35243 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: What's in a name, they said.

Reply #60

barcamp

n.— «There’s also something called a “barcamp” or “unconference” in which participants gather in an open, unstructured environment to hash out new ideas. Then they share them with others via web channels such as blogging, photo-sharing and “wiki-ing” or editing a shared item.»
Master of Expletives: Now with improved family f@&king friendliness! :D

Sources code: making easy front end changes difficult since 1873. :P

Reply #61

mongo n. material or goods salvaged from items intended for disposal. Also as verb.

Reply #62

Carrier Pigeon  O:-)

Reply #63

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BarCamp

Quote from: Antechinus – mongo n. material or goods salvaged from items intended for disposal. Also as verb.
http://www.mongodb.org/
Bugs creator.
Features destroyer.
Template killer.

Reply #64

In honor of longer words

Clishmaclaver
[klish-muh-kley-ver]
gossip; idle or foolish talk.  ;D

Reply #65

Why are the avatars and usernames all borked?

Reply #66

Could be an old cache file, I moved some of the inline stuff to the css cuz I was board and I'm going to mess with some other stuff cuz I'm still board :P

Reply #67

I'm so sorry I lost the avatars moment of glory... Admit it, you did it specially for Ant!  8)

Meaning Fred, right?  :D
The best moment for testing your PR is right after you merge it. Can't miss with that one.

Reply #68

Granted if I can do something dodgy in CSS or better hide some stuff in the sources to annoy him ... well it goes to the top of my list  :P

Reply #69

I am going to make a bouncing parrots hidden BBC tag. I can hide things in Sources too. :P
Last Edit: June 11, 2013, 08:22:28 am by TestMonkey

Reply #70

I let a few days pass on this... let them idle in the back of the mind... with the dark intention to see which sticks.

Result... There's one that comes back to mind immediately: elkarte.

It feels right. I think it might be slightly unusual for English-American speakers because of its sound (hey it's Basque). Slightly unusual is something that sticks to mind, though...
Coming together, grouping, association, community, circle of friends. It's rarely used, and apart the use for professional associations there's another on a "gourmets club" lol on the interwebz... But very very rare overall, IMHO we can let it mean what fits for us freely...

It's not the only one, there are a few others which I remember without reading the topic... keskomunya (!)... melong... I think kusema doesn't count (for me) cuz the experiment of idle thoughts failed on that one (had it open in a tab)... agora of course but well.
Last Edit: December 22, 2012, 11:10:51 pm by TestMonkey
The best moment for testing your PR is right after you merge it. Can't miss with that one.

Reply #71

Well we settled on Elkarte so the site moved to the domain while we could get it

www.elkarte.net will bring up the site ... don't use the old dialogo site any longer ... I can't get it to redirect correctly for some reason so the handful of us will have to deal with it for a day :P
Last Edit: December 24, 2012, 01:44:47 am by TestMonkey

Reply #72

And....it's back!

Reply #73

I leave for a few days and come back to see that elkarte is the new name... I hate it. Its not catchy, it isn't easy to pronounce. Hell it even makes me think its a Spanich word for "the cart". Not a good choice at all IMO. Oh well...
Success is not the result of spontaneous combustion, you must set yourself on fire!

Reply #74

At least it's better than refika. :P
Bugs creator.
Features destroyer.
Template killer.