Skip to main content
Topic: Re: printpage (Read 4237 times) previous topic - next topic - Topic derived from Re: IRC

Re: printpage

Quote from: TestMonkey – (01:34:11 AM) Norv: What is the use of printpage? (serious question in a sense)
(01:35:28 AM) ***Norv has cleaned the last bit of the other action handlers of Topic controller, but action_printpage() still prevents it to be clean of them pesky queries.
(01:35:41 AM) ***emanuele has never used it
(01:36:13 AM) emanuele: though I remember someone asked even for a "print" version of the memberlist
(01:36:54 AM) Norv: Mmm. This print view... can't really be done with css stuffs alone, I'd think...
(01:37:32 AM) emanuele: I think it should be possible
(01:38:08 AM) emanuele: Probably the original idea was to create a simplified black&white version of the page with much less informations
(01:38:35 AM) Norv: Yes. Well you also have pagination to get rid of... and probably more I don't remember atm
(01:38:42 AM) emanuele: Also printpage (AFAIR) doesn't use the callback even though it prints all the messages in a topic
(01:38:48 AM) Norv: Yep
(01:39:40 AM) emanuele: But:
(01:40:04 AM) groundup: view all, print. Seems simple enough
(01:40:06 AM) emanuele: who is going to print "in one go" all the messages of a topic?
(01:42:51 AM) Norv: The smileys and stuff processing must not be done, too, for print view.

my 2cents regarding printpages: Drop that feature, it's a dinosaur from the past. and we can use media queries in CSS to prettify the layout for printing (hiding menus, smileys etc).
Thorsten "TE" Eurich
------------------------

Re: Re: printpage

Reply #1

Sounds fine to me. I've never seen the sense of keeping it.
Master of Expletives: Now with improved family f@&king friendliness! :D

Sources code: making easy front end changes difficult since 1873. :P