Skip to main content
Topic: Targets for 1.0 (Read 18070 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Targets for 1.0 beta

Reply #15

what is the difference between upgrade and conversion?
192.MY.ID: Forum ISP Indonesia.

Reply #16

Upgrade means basically just "upgrade" the same database with the new informations (so that to move from SMF to Elk would just be "upload the files and run upgrade.php", like upgrade from SMF 1.1 to 2.0).

Conversion is instead a bit "unlinked" because you have do an Elk install and then you "import" the data from an SMF forum.
Bugs creator.
Features destroyer.
Template killer.

Reply #17

Okay, today I moved any issue that was not really something broken to 1.0 final.
At the moment there are 7 issues open: 3 are bugs (and likely blocker), 3 are organizational (e.g. where put the news files), and one is a tracking to test the upgrade from SMF.
I think we can add the last one to the known issues of the beta for the moment and work on it later (and even consider to scrap it if not feasible... it would be an hassle though because I couldn't upgrade and I'd have to convert. :P).
Bugs creator.
Features destroyer.
Template killer.

Reply #18

Man, does that mean you're all going beta before I do?
Oh my, I just realized I'm the new SMF 2.0 alpha/beta/rc, lol!
Good though, at least I really can tell people to use Elk (rather than SMF) if they think Wedge is too hardcore to them. ;)

Reply #19

Quote from: Nao – Man, does that mean you're all going beta before I do?
Let's see, we may be the last arrived and the first to deliver. O:-)
Bugs creator.
Features destroyer.
Template killer.

Reply #20

You're also less ambitious. Well, more than SMF :P

I don't know about your MVC changes though. I'd live to say it makes sense to me, but Wedge dropped pgsql and sqlite so controllers, mehh. Interestingly I'm so used to the folder structure that when I tried removing theme support I was put off by the change. One of the reasons I'm uncomfortable with Elk I suppose. Also the software name (I loved 'Dialogo', too.)

Sorry for the ot. ;)

Reply #21

No problem, at my forum OT is normality, so I'm used to them. (I can't remember a topic that remained in topic for more than 5 posts in the last year[1] LOL)

Well, controllers is not really about the support of multiple databases, more about do the "workflow" and let "others" do the work (i.e. controllers define the "what to do", models the "how to do" if I understood it correctly). The more evident consequence in SMF codebase is that all the queries should be moved somewhere else because queries are obviously something related to the "how to do".
and that's the reason I'm obsessed (even though I'm good at hiding it :P) about different ways to "present" topics
Bugs creator.
Features destroyer.
Template killer.

Re: Targets for 1.0

Reply #22

Being 1.0 completed, I guess the targets can be unpinned. :D
Bugs creator.
Features destroyer.
Template killer.