Skip to main content
Topic: SEF URLs .. Yes I know it's been discussed (Read 17782 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: SEF URLs .. Yes I know it's been discussed

Reply #15

Quote from: ahrasis – Sure. If your are willing to share yours @Feline, I think many of those who are interested can easily port it here.
Well .. we are near to release the next Update (version 1.3) because we have optimized many parts, also the SEF engine.
If this availabe, any registered member can download this release and look at our SEF code .. it's only one file and all parts can by called via hooks ...
Ofcourse all (c) notices must stay in any clone ... it's licensed under MPL 1.1

Fel
Last Edit: January 05, 2018, 09:39:16 pm by Feline
Many are stubborn in relation to the path, a few in relation to the target.
Visit our new Forum Project on https://www.portamx.com

Reply #16

Quote from: Feline –
Quote from: ahrasis – Sure. If your are willing to share yours @Feline, I think many of those who are interested can easily port it here.
Well .. we are near to release the next Update (version 1.3) because we have optimized many parts, also the SEF engine.
If this availabe, any registered member can download this release and look at our SEF code .. it's only one file and all parts can by called via hooks ...
Ofcourse all (c) notices must stay in any clone ... it's licensed under MPL 1.1

Fel

It's interesting, though I doubt it will be as simple as that... SEF as an afterthought isn't super simple but it's doable, and unless the architecture is similar it will require heavy modification indeed..

I kind of like how Joomla CMS has done it with their router framework..  but stripping that out and porting it over would be difficult too, and there'd be no help I'm sure.  It's part of the core of the software.
programmer, linux admin
musician, silly person

Reply #17

Well ... elkarte and our Forum is based on the same source .. SMF   :)

Reply #18

Indeed...

Reply #19

It was not meant in the sense I was expecting you to pick it up, sorry for the misunderstanding [1], it was more stating the facts that leaded to not have it implemented in Elk up until now. :)

Quote from: oneduality – I just think this software is one of the cleanest I've looked at, I like the interface on the back-end and it's feature rich.. so I think the one thing missing is this.
Yep, agree, and that's why I proposed it as project to work on. :)
TBH I (as a user) am not very fond on the "friendly" urls, mostly because I'm kind of old school and from time to time I cannot do copy&paste, but I have to type things (on different devices), so for me it's much easier to type 123 rather than a long title, but of course that's just me. :P
Of course if you are interested in picking it up that's all good :P
Bugs creator.
Features destroyer.
Template killer.

Reply #20

Quote from: ahrasis – I think most of SEF or similar mods requires only apache rewrite so it is not universal enough for those who use nginx to test or help to develop.
That's why one of the things I would like to evaluate is using a routing php-side, maybe symfony or the routing component of another framework.
Bugs creator.
Features destroyer.
Template killer.

Reply #21

I've seen this aproach in other forum software, and works fine with Apache or Nginx or other web server
sorry for my bad english

Reply #22

Quote from: oneduality – Ohh, I didn't realize you were mentioning your forum software on ElkArte's forums .. usually that's frowned upon :) so I assumed it was a customization to ElkArte
When relevant (like here) I don't see why it should be frowned upon. The advertisement in the signature is more questionable I suppose.

Quote from: Allan – Even though it's not a need for proper SEO it still brings a very clean look to a forum, that many people want.
I don't give a darn about it looking "clean",[1] but I definitely prefer elkarte.net/community/sef-blablabla over community/index.php?topic=4848 because then I know what it is I'm clicking on.

I despise the rise of URL shorteners. :)

Quote from: emanuele – That's why one of the things I would like to evaluate is using a routing php-side, maybe symfony or the routing component of another framework.
Heck, you could also have something like elk.com/?t=1234&legible-but-totally-unused=sef-urls-yes-i-know-its-been-discussed

Also, while I'm not fond of the idea, with History.push() you could just pretend on the client-side without any server involvement at all.
That's not entirely true, but I think that one or two query string parameters like in Elk are also "clean." It's only on, say, Google that query strings become absurd, unclean creatures. But that doesn't really have anything to do with query strings per se.

Reply #23

A question for @Feline, does your forum + customized SEF mod work well on Nginx?

Reply #24

Quote from: Feline – @emanuele known the code .. she is the right person to implement that for elkarte (I think)  ;)

FYI she is a he.  :D

Okay, sometimes women have beards too. lol

Reply #25

esp dwarves (yay LOTR)

Reply #26

I love LOTR and all stories that play in Tolkien's worlds! oh, I still have to read the letters to Santa Claus!  O:-)

Reply #27

Quote from: ahrasis – A question for @Feline, does your forum + customized SEF mod work well on Nginx?
Because I don't have Nginx I can't test it ...

What you need is a mod_rewrite like apache have ..
This is the .htaccess
Code: [Select]
# sef engine
RewriteBase /forum/
RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} !-f
RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} !-d
RewriteRule ^(.*)$ index.php?q=$1 [L,QSA]
Fel

Reply #28

That part is quite easy in Nginx. But others, I am not so sure. However, thank you very much for the information.

Reply #29

No harder in Lighttpd either. ;)