Skip to main content
Topic: PC file (Read 4048 times) previous topic - next topic

PC file

Guys, I need help with a problem. When you Download a MySQL Database Backup to your desktop. Well, it downloads in the wrong file type (Window media player) and I can't seem to change it back.

Re: PC file

Reply #1

Press SHIFT with right click on the file, choose "open with" from the context menu, and then choose the right program for the SQL file. I prefer notepad++, but the Windows text editor will be fine too. Before you click on the program be sure to set the option "open always with this program" first.

Sorry, I don't use an english Windows, so the texts could be a little different.

Reply #2

Thanks!

Reply #3

Did it work?

Reply #4

No, not really! I know about the method you talked about. And I was about to convert the file to notepad. But I can not seem to return the file back to its original form.

Reply #5

What file extension has your backup file? When you download it, it should be .sql (not zipped) or .zip or .gz (zipped).

Reply #6

realchri_elka641 (1).sql but it downloads to a Wordpad file and I can't seem to get it to download to the sql file.

Reply #7

Sounds like you're actually good.  There is a difference between the file extension and the program set as the default opener.  .sql is what you want, and according to the filename, what you have.  If memory serves, you can change the program which will open the file by right clicking, and choosing from the menu.  Currently you have Wordpad set as the default.  For the most part, you shouldn't need to open the file anyway.  Saving it as a local copy serves the purpose of a backup in the event of a server crash or some other failure.  Should that happen, you will upload it to the server as is in order to use it.  Unless you are doing really advanced stuff it really doesn't matter what "type" it is. 

Reply #8

That is the problem, I moved my account to another server (better, faster). I copied my SQL database and directory files but I could not get them to work on the new server.

Reply #9

Quote from: Brother John – That is the problem, I moved my account to another server (better, faster). I copied my SQL database and directory files but I could not get them to work on the new server.

What goes wrong?  What indicates the database file is the issue?  Most likely it's something else, something quite simple.  Between all the minds here we should be able to help you figure it out.  :)

Reply #10

Here is the SQL database
Last Edit: June 17, 2017, 09:48:32 am by emanuele

Reply #11

Please do never upload randomly sql dumps.
Bugs creator.
Features destroyer.
Template killer.

Reply #12

I do not understand what you are talking about. I'm not a tech guy. If I have done something against the rules I do apologize.

Reply #13

I don't believe it is so much a rule per se.  It makes a HUGE post.  And it contains info which could easily lead to your site being hacked.  ;)

Rather than focus on the sql file, please tell us precisely what goes wrong.  Error messages, warnings, fire?

Reply #14

I have already redone everything so I have no error reports. All my stuff has been moved to new servers. But what I can do is talk about what went on.

You know yourself, now a SQL file looks when you download it to your desktop from your own sites. I'm running Windows 10 and something when wrong and I can't figure out what. At one time I was able to download a SQL file the same as you, but something happened and now it's either downloading as a WordPad, Paint, Notepad, etc.