Skip to main content
Topic: How to install ElkArte Alpha? (Read 7683 times) previous topic - next topic

How to install ElkArte Alpha?

Hi, is there any guide to install ElkArte Alpha? I tried and the installation is still broken, it's still referencing to old paths. Moving the files around based on the errors and the installation cannot progress, so I just assume it still not done because it's still in alpha.  :D

So I need to create the database and tables manually? What should I populate the field with? or should I wait for the beta version?

Cheers!  ;D
192.MY.ID: Forum ISP Indonesia.

Re: How to install ElkArte Alpha?

Reply #1

Should work, unless something has been broken in the latest build. What I do on local is make an empty db manually, then just grab the install script, etc from the tools folder and put them in root, then go to install.php like normal and just go through the steps.

If you're trying an upgrade instead of an install I don't know what state that's in. You wouldn't be abl;e to go straight from an old SMF to Elk. They're too different. Will need a converter.
Master of Expletives: Now with improved family f@&king friendliness! :D

Sources code: making easy front end changes difficult since 1873. :P

Reply #2

It's a while I don't try an install... O:-)

Basically what Ant said: you grab all the install_*, Settings.php, Settings_bak.php files from "install" and move them to the root, then you run the install as usual.

About the upgrade... yes, there is still something to fix. O:-)
Bugs creator.
Features destroyer.
Template killer.

Reply #3

Thanks @Antechinus and @emanuele !  Now I'm playing with my new toy :D Too bad there is no converter from SMF2 yet, but it's to be expected from a project that still in alpha phase. There are more important things to do than a converter for now.

Cheers! :)

Reply #4

Technically I think it wont work "only" on *unix systems whenre "Sources" and "sources" are two different directories, on windows it should work.
On *unix a workaround should be to simply upload the files into the SMF directories (i.e. Sources and Themes), with that trick Elk should upgrade from SMF unless of other issues. :P
Bugs creator.
Features destroyer.
Template killer.

Reply #5

@emanuele : Now you tempt me to try to convert my (smallish) forum. Is there any caveat for converting my forum now? Want to try to live on bleeding edge  8)