Skip to main content
Topic: Responsive Theme (Read 19802 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Responsive Theme

Reply #45

Yes but (IMFO) having the larger category names gives the visual hierarchy that's needed anyway, so they're still easy to find (for me). Using text size rather than smack-you-upside-the-head dark bars is, I think, in general a better compromise for pages that have lots of said bars on a light background.
Master of Expletives: Now with improved family f@&king friendliness! :D

Sources code: making easy front end changes difficult since 1873. :P

Reply #46

Larger names are great - used them myself, so no arguing there. its just visual preference/design choice more than anything else. :)

Reply #47

Quote from: TE – oki, green is a little bit darker now.. Made a PR to the themes repository  :)
General question. :)

There seems to be a desire to get away from the SMF colour scheme, and also to do something a bit different to the other major players in forum apps. Everyone, but everyone, does blue. I've looked over the theme variants that were in the repo the other day, and in general I really like the green/light grey/white combo. It's fresh and cool and easy on the eye. Sort of calming, but with enough pep to not be dull. I find it very easy to work with.

So, for the moment that's what I'm working with on local, just because colours are easy to change, and for now I'd like to use something that makes me happy when I look at the screen.

Would there be general agreement on going with this colour scheme as default?

ETA: I'm planning on doing a complementary dark variant once the front end codebase is mostly sorted, or as soon as I need a break from serious stuff (whichever comes first).

PS: Although I have removed the topmenu class from the main menu on local, which will break all variants currently in the repo. Adding an additional class to a ul which already had one class and one id, and was the first child of another id, was just bloat. No need for it. ;)

Reply #48

I like that color scheme too.
Success is not the result of spontaneous combustion, you must set yourself on fire!

Reply #49

QuoteWould there be general agreement on going with this colour scheme as default?
Yep, I'd vote for the green variant, too :) It's "business-ready", and replacing that green colors (if someone doesn't like them) is just a matter of cosmetics..
Thorsten "TE" Eurich
------------------------

Reply #50

TBH I did tweak the tone a bit on local. I'm using the colours shown in the attachment to this post. I like the slighter richer and "purer" green myself, and the darker body background makes the theme stand out nicely IMO.

Same basic idea though: green/light grey/white. :)

Reply #51

I've seen it, IMHO it's too dark, however I'm fine with what the majority likes  :)
Thorsten "TE" Eurich
------------------------

Reply #52

Yeah I don't mind if it goes a bit lighter for default either. Piece of cake to tweak it to suit yourself. :)

Reply #53

I think green should one one of the colors, but not the main color. I think light/dark shades of brown should be the main colors in conjunction with green  .

Reply #54

You want a colour scheme based on poo? Ummmm.

Reply #55

Quote from: Antechinus – You want a colour scheme based on poo? Ummmm.

yep...

manure actually, because the little undigested blades of green grass give it a nice touch.

Reply #56

I was playing with the "buttons", opinions?

I think they are a bit too many... but that's what we have to deal with...

Reply #57

Well there are lots of buttons ;D  

We could hide all the buttons in a drop down, but I'm not sure at what point responsive ends and mobile theme begins at that point.  What you show looks to be very usable!  I guess we could try to make the buttons smaller and try and get three across if you want to take less vertical space up.

Reply #58

I think it would be good to hide a couple of those buttons depending on the resolution.  My mobile phone's resolution is 800x480.. Maybe hide all admin /moderation tasks and other not so important buttons (add poll, print, merge, split and such stuff) in portrait mode (480px) an diplsay them in lanscape (800px)?

I regulary visit this site from my mobile phone and some of the dropdowns, especially the one on display template which shows poster's details) are somewhat annoing. Maybe we can disable the poster details dropdown for those devices completely?

Methinks we need a full mobile theme..
Thorsten "TE" Eurich
------------------------

Reply #59

LOL
Indeed!

Quote from: Spuds – but I'm not sure at what point responsive ends and mobile theme begins at that point.
Well...the fact is not mobile doesn't mean it shouldn't look nice! :P

Quote from: Spuds – What you show looks to be very usable!  I guess we could try to make the buttons smaller and try and get three across if you want to take less vertical space up.
Quote from: TE – I think it would be good to hide a couple of those buttons depending on the resolution.  My mobile phone's resolution is 800x480.. Maybe hide all admin /moderation tasks and other not so important buttons (add poll, print, merge, split and such stuff) in portrait mode (480px) an diplsay them in lanscape (800px)?

I regulary visit this site from my mobile phone and some of the dropdowns, especially the one on display template which shows poster's details) are somewhat annoing. Maybe we can disable the poster details dropdown for those devices completely?
Good ideas!

Quote from: TE – Methinks we need a full mobile theme..
Possible...
Bugs creator.
Features destroyer.
Template killer.