Skip to main content
Topic: Anyone running ElkArte in XAMPP? (Read 8164 times) previous topic - next topic

Anyone running ElkArte in XAMPP?

Just wondering if anyone's running ElkArte in XAMPP, and if so what version of XAMPP.  Reason I ask is, I've tried several times to set up a test install to play around with, but every time I try it gets as far as step 4 in the install process, page refreshes and leave me with a white page, and can go no further.    Database seems to populate ok.  I get to the install page where you give the site a name, and then it should I assume go to the page where you set your admin settings, but I get a white page instead.

I've tried v1.1.1 v1.1.2 and v1.1.3 and all give me the same result.  Xampp is running php 7.1 and SMF 2.0.15 and SMF 2.1 beta 3 both install and run fine.   Anyone got any ideas what I'm doing wrong?

Re: Anyone running ElkArte in XAMPP?

Reply #1

Have not used Xampp in a long time so can't be much help.   Which version of ElkArte, 1.1.x or the development branch?

Reply #2

Quote from: Spuds –   Which version of ElkArte, 1.1.x or the development branch?

Thanks.  I originally tried 1.1.3 downloaded from the Download link on the front page.  And then 1.1.1 and 1.1.2 from the releases on GitHub, here, https://github.com/elkarte/Elkarte/releases   A fresh database for each attempt.

Reply #3

hmm...odd.
Would you mind testing a random idea? Change:
Code: [Select]
		$can_alter_table = $db->query('', "
ALTER TABLE {$db_prefix}log_digest
ORDER BY id_topic",
array(
'security_override' => true
)
) === false;
to:
Code: [Select]
		$can_alter_table = true;
in /install/Install_Controller.php?
Bugs creator.
Features destroyer.
Template killer.

Reply #4

emanuele thanks, gave that a go but still the same unfortunately.   :(

Should have mentioned, I also have XAMPP running on a second windows 10 laptop which I use for testing SMF and Tinyportal, and that works fine as well, until I try to install ElkArte then the same thing happens.  

Reply #6

Checked the logs, just some stuff about ssl not being configured, but other than that nothing relevant.  I'll keep searching and see what I can find.  Or perhaps try a different test platform.  Thanks.

Reply #7

Total black.
I should test it, but don't have any win platform handy...
A reasonable issue could be related to paths, or the inclusion of Settings.php...
Bugs creator.
Features destroyer.
Template killer.

Reply #8

If you are in the mood, can you try 1.0?
Bugs creator.
Features destroyer.
Template killer.

Reply #9

Quote from: lurkalot – Just wondering if anyone's running ElkArte in XAMPP...
Yeas ago, being a bit of a n00b and lazy as well, I got fed up with trying to get things set up on XAMPP and went looking for an easier alternative. Try this: https://www.vswamp.com/

I've found it to be idiot-proof. :)
Master of Expletives: Now with improved family f@&king friendliness! :D

Sources code: making easy front end changes difficult since 1873. :P

Reply #10

Before I run my own server (since about 5 years ago) I did use xampp and wamp for my tests as they are faster and easier to edit locally.

May be I'll tested at later time today and let you all know the result.

Reply #11

Report: I downloaded and installed XAMPP 7.1.17 on my Windows 10. Then I created folder ea11, copied ElkArte 1.1.3 into it, created database, open http://localhost/ea11 and ran its installation.

Everything went smoothly and ElkArte 1.1.3 was installed and is running fine.

Reply #12

Quote from: ahrasis – Before I run my own server (since about 5 years ago) I did use xampp and wamp for my tests as they are faster and easier to edit locally.

May be I'll tested at later time today and let you all know the result.

Quote from: ahrasis – Report: I downloaded and installed XAMPP 7.1.17 on my Windows 10. Then I created folder ea11, copied ElkArte 1.1.3 into it, created database, open http://localhost/ea11 and ran its installation.

Everything went smoothly and ElkArte 1.1.3 was installed and is running fine.

Thanks for checking this for me.  I haven't had a problem with XAMPP until now, always found it quick and easy to use.  Obviously looks like something is wrong with my setup now though.   Pretty sure I'm running the same version as you.

Reply #13

What browser are you using (in case it is a JS error of some sort)

Reply #14

I use Wamp server and ElkArte works fine in it. Sorry no clue about xampp