Skip to main content
Topic: [ADDON] SimplePortal (Read 155403 times) previous topic - next topic

[ADDON] SimplePortal

SimplePortal 1.0.3

License
This Elkarte addon is released under a BSD-3-Clause license

Introduction
I'll provide some detail just to set a baseline, this is a port of SimplePortal 2.4 to ElkArte.

A port means I retained all existing functionality of the parent, and then added some new features over what was already available.  A few old blocks were removed as, until such time as those addons are available, it did not make sense to keep them in the code.

New features include
- Independent article system, supporting BBC, HTML, Markdown and PHP for your writing needs
- Drag and drop capabilities in the Admin Panel so you can simply move a block to a new area.
- Improved mobile capabilities, you can define which blocks appear on mobile devices.
- New <div> flex layout replaces the older table layout.  Of course its a responsive design as well.
- Your users can drag and drop the blocks on the main portal page, so they can build a layout to suit their needs.  A reset to default is included as well.
- Consolidation of functions to use what is available in the ElkArte core for a smaller footprint. 
- Code updates to run on PHP 8.x
- New block management.  You can now simply add blocks by placing a block module in the spblocks directory,  the new block will be found and made available. Code edits are no longer needed.
- Inline attachment support for the article system
- The portal is installed as a core feature, to allow easy on/off support and only 1 source edit.

Now since SP 2.4 is still under development, I can safely claim all bugs with this code are due to @[SiNaN] and I'm sticking to that even if they are due to me refactoring things to work with Elk :P  OK in truth the SP code is awesome and I'm still working my way though several areas of it, there is a lot to learn and I'm not really a portal guy so I'm still leaning how some of the features are even used by the community.

Please consider this Alpha Beta RC GA code and feel free to report and  provide fixes to bugs if you find them.

Repo / Download
https://github.com/SimplePortal/SimplePortal_ElkArte/releases/download/1.0.3/elk_simple_portal-1.0.3.zip (Current Release Version for ElkArte 1.1.7+ only)

Older Forum Support
These older version will have some bugs, but its the only way to have SP on an old forum.  No support, but they do work.
https://github.com/SimplePortal/SimplePortal_ElkArte/releases/download/v1.0.0-RC1/elk_simple_portal-rc1.zip (Version for ElkArte 1.1.0 - 1.1.6 only)
https://github.com/SimplePortal/SimplePortal_ElkArte/releases/tag/v1.0.0-beta.2 (for ElkArte 1.0 only)
Last Edit: February 09, 2024, 02:22:12 pm by Spuds

Re: [ADDON] SimplePortal

Reply #1

emanuele uses like to like this topic! :D
Bugs creator.
Features destroyer.
Template killer.

Reply #2

Great work :) Nice to see built in articles with comment system :D

I had to manually change package - Elk is using lowercase names in folders - and there was Modification parse error because at bitbucket Sources and Themes directory have first letter uppercase.

I have one question - if site is using SMF + SP, and someone will convert SMF > Elk -  SP data will be updated (blocks, pages etc.) or it will be gone?
Last Edit: May 04, 2014, 07:39:20 am by phantom

Reply #3

Spuds, you really did a great job with this one! I wish I could work on the Elkarte port with you guys but I guess I'm too old now to start learning ins and outs of yet another huge package. I even find it difficult to work on SMF version due to the long breaks I had to take. Anyway, I'm really glad to see SimplePortal being pulled to this direction. Looking forward to the day when both of the packages get the final tag sticked on them!

Quote from: phantom – I have one question - if site is using SMF + SP, and someone will convert SMF > Elk -  SP data will be updated (blocks, pages etc.) or it will be gone?

I think the database structure hasn't been changed while porting the mod. So it shouldn't be difficult. That is unless the next version of SimplePortal goes through so many changes that I don't bother coding an upgrade script for the SMF version.

Reply #4

Best of luck to you, Spuds! I'm eager to try out a working Elk + SP site combination someday.

Reply #5

I will be the first here I uploaded and went to install and I have and error in the source/Subs.php image attached.

Reply #6

Hummm ... thats odd ... Is that with the latest code from the repo? (for the subs error)

The other two errors I suspect are permissions issues in extracting the package file.  Make sure your packages and packages/temp files are writable

ETA: Doh! Just read @phantom post about the case names ... what a rookie mistake! 
 Spuds runs to fix that

Reply #7

I think you are using some "old" beta code, right?

ehhh... the code is (still) changing (somewhat) fast and I think Spuds used the latest master as base.
And for the next question (i.e. how to upgrade, yeah, I read minds :P) here it is the answer! :)
Bugs creator.
Features destroyer.
Template killer.

Reply #8

Working on ftp the  upgraded files, will let you know how everything is when done.

Reply #9

I fixed the wrongly cased directory's in the repo ... I had fixed my local some time back but for some reason bitbucket did not update as well, strange.  I could not rename them either so I had to mv them to temp and then mv temp back to the lowercase name for it to get changed.  Sometimes git has a mind of its own.

Quote from: Allan – Working on ftp the  upgraded files, will let you know how everything is when done.
Cool .. let us know!

Reply #10

Ok the install error is gone in the source/Subs.php but the Modification parse errors are still there as shown in the above image. I just downloaded the master and uploaded the root php files and the /source and /theme folders.

Reply #11

Quote from: Allan – Ok the install error is gone in the source/Subs.php but the Modification parse errors are still there as shown in the above image. I just downloaded the master and uploaded the root php files and the /source and /theme folders.
Be sure and download the SP package again since I updated the repo directory names Themes -> themes and Sources -> sources

Reply #12

ok I will try that as well, thank you.

ETA: worked great no errors

Reply #13

Woot ! (now you can find the bugs)

Reply #14

I have been playing around and haven't encountered errors, I have added 2 custom boxes as well as using pre-made boxes as well. Still going to play around with the articles, so will be reporting back.