Skip to main content
Topic: Closed my project, what can i do next (Read 3275 times) previous topic - next topic

Closed my project, what can i do next

I closed my project two days ago. And thinking of taking a break..but my mind keep saying start a general forum (saturated niche).

But i am trying to avoid it. What can i do next? Go with my thoughts or learn something or any suggestion?

Re: Closed my project, what can i do next

Reply #1

I don't know how successful can became general forum, why not starting a niche forum, some argument you like and know much? Something unique that does not exist.

I guess social networks replaced the general/chit-chat forums. 
sorry for my bad english

Reply #2

@radu81 I agree with, lots and lots of General forum are available online. So inventing the same wheel doesn't do any good. But as you said, finding the right niche is important and something unique. Which in the current world seems to be a big task or nearly impossible.

Reply #3

That is true, there are already forums for almost any argument. Trying something in your language instead of English? 
sorry for my bad english

Reply #4

Quote from: radu81 – That is true, there are already forums for almost any argument. Trying something in your language instead of English?

Yup i did that and i showcased it in elkarte few weeks back. But due to zero activity i moved on by closing it two days back. I give up easily sadly. But i will take time and think what else can be put in to make the recently closed project interesting..

Else it is better i stay out of running forums and do something else. And i don't know what to do :D

Reply #5

When I started my forum skoda I got 19 members in a year and 364 messages, and probably more than 300 were mine. In the second year about 150 members and 2000 messages. I wanted to shut it down when domain and hosting expires, but then started to grow. It will never make big numbers, but that's not the scope. We are doing a couple of meetings every year and I've met a lot of members personally.
sorry for my bad english

Reply #6

When people meet in person - that's a true success!   8)

Reply #7

I agree, and last Sunday I attended the wedding of one of my moderators. I wasn't the only one invited from my forum, there were other people from the forum. A nice event and I'm glad he invited us.
sorry for my bad english

Reply #8

@radu81 that is nice to hear, good you never gave up.

Reply #9

Quote from: Jason – Else it is better i stay out of running forums and do something else. And i don't know what to do :D

Oh my, really? Enjoy the real life, the nature, your quality time, plan meetings with friends and/or your parents and other family members, read something with real pages, explore new music artists, create something which you can touch and feel, make amazing photos, write a short story or a whole book, paint something, maybe your house, take a walk with an animal from the shelter, etc etc etc.

Reply #10

if you have a lot of free time and you have nothing to do then study php and make addons for elkarte.
Sorry for my English

Reply #11

@inter i really wanted to learn php, but whenever i see the codes i faint. Man it looks so complicated. Thanks for the suggestion though.