Skip to main content
Topic: Some likes not showing on message index (Read 3326 times) previous topic - next topic

Some likes not showing on message index

Did you guys know about this? I couldn't find it in the issues on GitUgh, but it seems like something that somebody would have noticed before.

So on message index, some topics shows likes (coz they haz likes) but other topics, which also have likes, don't show as having any.

There are several examples in the Features Discussion board: http://www.elkarte.net/community/index.php?board=1.0
Master of Expletives: Now with improved family f@&king friendliness! :D

Sources code: making easy front end changes difficult since 1873. :P

Re: Some likes not showing on message index

Reply #1

On message index likes are shown only for the first post of topic ;)
sorry for my bad english

Reply #2

Ah. Ok then. Just seemed weird.

Reply #3

nods ... its topic likes vs message likes.  Like the first post and it is a topic like at which point it goes on the message index.

I've asked about changing that a couple of times (and I'm the guilty party for that) but no real consensus or direction on that.  I think it tends to be somewhat useless as my experience is that most often the board index shows the zero value.  Then again the way topics go OT you can get a bunch of likes for things that have nothing to do with the subject.

Reply #4

Yeah I can see why it's an odd case. Given that "most often the board index shows the zero value" I can't see a lot of value in having it shown.

Reply #5

Hey maybe we can make it an option :P (yes thats a joke!)

Reply #6

@Feature Cat :D

Reply #7

Well, move this to Exterminated or something ;D
~ SimplePortal Support Team ~

Reply #8

And I bring again on the table the fact that any of the other forum scripts I tested so far works the exact same way. :P

I have no strong feeling, if you (well, the majority, not just Antechinus :P) want to see the sum of the likes on the board index, it should be possible.
Yeah, it would be kind of weird, but to me likes are weird, so just adding a bit of fuel on the fire, nothing big. LOL
Bugs creator.
Features destroyer.
Template killer.

Reply #9

Then with that you make me wonder if it worths keeping such a counter at all, I'd put a checkbox to deactivate it if someone doesn't want it. I don't know, I don't have a strong opinion either, I am just like "meh, that counter thingy..."

Reply #10

QuoteAnd I bring again on the table the fact that any of the other forum scripts I tested so far works the exact same way. :P
LOL ... you need to keep doing that to help with my CRS disease.

Its nothing for 1.0.x anyway, just one of those things I keep pondering the usefulness of ... more from the "special" place it gets on the message index, which in my experience mostly shows 0.  I'm not sure sorting by that value gets you anything either, but thats just how I use things, I suppose if a board was very selective it would be useful.  

Moving to all will just increase the number, I'm still lost on how useful that is or is not, I mean I can see how it could be just that I'm not sure in reality it turns out that way.

What we do need is to use its value in search results to tweak relevance a bit.

Reply #11

You know what? You could code both ways and an option to turn it off, then default as it is now and leave the admin the option to choose.
Personally, but just personally, I'd turn it off entirely, but there may be boards requiring one solution or the other.

Reply #12

I think the number is stored in the database ad not computed "on the fly" each time, so add "an option" is as easy as:
add a new column to the topics table,
add a maintenance task to the upgrade code to calculate the "new" likes on topics,
add the code to update that like each time a new post is made,
add all the logic to switch from one column to another in all the places this number is shown.
Yes, not that much, though a bit share of things to do. :P
Bugs creator.
Features destroyer.
Template killer.