Skip to main content
Topic: Wordpress to Elkarte, Google still hasn't indexed (Read 4100 times) previous topic - next topic

Wordpress to Elkarte, Google still hasn't indexed

I used Wordpress for few days then i turned my site to a forum using Elkarte. But still Google hasn't indexed any links. Old Wordpress links is still active in the index.

Any .htaccess changes need to be done?

Re: Wordpress to ElkArte, Google still hasn't indexed

Reply #1

robots.txt would affect bots; .htaccess wouldn't (or at least no more or less than it affects anybody else, provided you don't specifically target Google bot user agents, etc.).

Anyway, this should help:
https://support.google.com/webmasters/answer/6065812?hl=en

Reply #2

I did that Frenzie, for both non-www and www version in google webmaster tools 1 week back.

Reply #3

Google is indexing new links, but it indexes with PHPSESSID Is it fine. I recently removed SimpleSEF addon and using basic url conversion in elkarte.

Reply #4

Google is odd... :-\

Elk provides canonical URLs exactly to avoid that, but still it picks the version with the session ID.

I have the impression it does a two-step indexing: during the first pass it uses the URL that finds as-is, then "later" it replaces the with those from the canonical meta tag removing the session id.
Bugs creator.
Features destroyer.
Template killer.

Reply #5

Quote from: emanuele – Google is odd... :-\

Elk provides canonical URLs exactly to avoid that, but still it picks the version with the session ID.

I have the impression it does a two-step indexing: during the first pass it uses the URL that finds as-is, then "later" it replaces the with those from the canonical meta tag removing the session id.

So it is up with Google, we can't do anything from our side right ?

Reply #6

Any solution for this? ElkArte team :(

Reply #7

My links are going down after moving to elkarte, but I feel that's because I didn't redirect old links :)

Reply #8

You can always try adding to your robots.txt file

Disallow: /index.php?PHPSESSID

and probably

Disallow: ‎/index.php?wwwRedirect‎

If they bother you that much ... Goggle will eventually clean them up if it even matters ... Concentrate where your site shows up when searching on items that you think your site should have high relevance about and see who's on top.  That's your competition, and its based on content, web exposure, time alive, etc not PHPSESSID.   IMO

Reply #9

Indeed. It is better to stay on common good practices rather than following google "uncertain" trends that keep changing from time to time.

Reply #10

I still think there is nothing to change and google will pick up the non-sessid urls when it will consider to second-pass your data and use the canonical instead of just what they found on the first-pass.
But I'm no expert on the matter, maybe you could give a nudge to https://productforums.google.com/forum/#!forum/websearch they may give some much more relevant answer than we could ever guess. ;D
Bugs creator.
Features destroyer.
Template killer.

Re: Wordpress to Elkarte, Google still hasn't indexed

Reply #11

Quote from: Spuds – You can always try adding to your robots.txt file

Disallow: /index.php?PHPSESSID
and probably
Disallow: ‎/index.php?wwwRedirect‎

I am still getting those darn PHPSESSID's so thats what I added this morning.

Tell me, is this normal (at the end of my domain URL) , and is it hurting SEF for Google or any other search engines?  >>>
  /index.php/topic,2.msg0/boardseen.html#new

Could that be cleaned up at all?

The only thing I miss from Vanilla was there clean keyword filled URL's...like:
/discussion/32434/no-difference-between-basic-and-approval-registration

Is that in the mix for maybe a future Elk version?

Re: Wordpress to Elkarte, Google still hasn't indexed

Reply #13

Yeah, I'm just trying to get a short clean URL.   I noticed them appearing on one of my older Elk forums again.  Is this normal?  I  thought I might take Spuds advise and at least keep the bots from seeing them.