Skip to main content
Topic: iOS 10 not showing editor buttons (Read 21547 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: iOS 10 not showing editor buttons

Reply #105

A really big "THANK YOU" to all of you testing and fixing this issue!  :)

Will there be any fix I can install on my board? Or do I have to wait for newer ElkArte versions?

Reply #106

Oook, so the usual problem "do not test for user agent, but for functionality" thingy, right? :P
Bugs creator.
Features destroyer.
Template killer.

Reply #107

Its in reply #99 @Jorin.

Reply #108

Ah, I missed that one. Thank you!

Reply #109

I have some noob questions with regards to the js file for the editor. In 1.0 branch we got three files: jquery.sceditor.bbcode.min.js, jquery.sceditor.elkarte.js and jquery.sceditor.min.js; and in 1.1 we got only jquery.sceditor.bbcode.min.js and jquery.sceditor.elkarte.js.

1. What are the differences between them and is jquery.sceditor.bbcode.min.js + jquery.sceditor.min.js in 1.0 branch equivalent to jquery.sceditor.bbcode.min.js in 1.1 branch?

2. Can't we use the same for both 1.0 and 1.1 branches for easier bug fixes in the future?

3. Can we like use the original js file from smclarke, but overwrite the broken part in that file with elkarte fixes, without having to fix the original file directly because I think it will be a lot easier to maintain?

If any of the above make sense, that is. :D

Reply #110

Thanks for the fix!

Reply #111

Quote from: ahrasis – 1. What are the differences between them and is jquery.sceditor.bbcode.min.js + jquery.sceditor.min.js in 1.0 branch equivalent to jquery.sceditor.bbcode.min.js in 1.1 branch?
As explained by Spuds earlier, in 1.0 we ship one version, in 1.1 another.
As for the equivalence between the 2 VS 1, I guess the two in 1.0 are equivalent to the single one in 1.1.

Quote from: ahrasis – 2. Can't we use the same for both 1.0 and 1.1 branches for easier bug fixes in the future?
Because for one the editor has a rather... strange version numbering where a micro increment may mean an almost complete rewrite and a major may just mean a bug fix (unless the versioning stabilized in the last period), then there is the problem that if the editor changes it may change so much that extensions like new buttons do not work any more, and another reason is that the editor relies on jQuery, in 1.0 I seem to remember we ship 1.8, in 1.1 we ship 3.0 (or something along the lines) and it's not always so straightforward what works with what when it comes to jQuery...
With that in mind, it was decided to ship a version of Elk with a certain version of the editor and stick with it to keep this side of the maintenance clean.

Quote from: ahrasis – 3. Can we like use the original js file from smclarke, but overwrite the broken part in that file with elkarte fixes, without having to fix the original file directly because I think it will be a lot easier to maintain?
That's what is already done as much as possible: jquery.sceditor.elkarte.js (along with other files) is meant to extend with custom functionalities the "core editor" as much as possible. In certain cases, this is just not feasible (see the current user agent check).

It does make sense, I hope the reasoning we applied do make sense as well. ;)
Bugs creator.
Features destroyer.
Template killer.