Skip to main content
Topic: ElkArte vs SMF (Read 9776 times) previous topic - next topic

ElkArte vs SMF

Hello!
Please, answer - What elkarte better than SMF? Sorry for my English, I am russian.

Re: ElkArte vs SMF

Reply #1

Likes, alerts, @ mentions, responsive, fast development, a totally customer friendly culture.

Reply #3

The best thing you can do is download elkarte, install it in localhost and discover what's new ;)

Yes, is based on smf 2.1, but smf 2.1 is in beta and it will take some time until it became stable as elkarte. For smf 2.1 there are no mods availble, but for elkarte there are some nice mods ;)

you may have a look at this topic http://www.elkarte.net/community/index.php?topic=2215.0
sorry for my bad english

Reply #4

Quote from: gorbi –
Quote from: meetdilip – Likes, alerts, @ mentions, responsive, fast development, a totally customer friendly culture.
all this on the board SMF2.1. As a mod in 2.0. IMHO

I may be wrong. But there is only a mentions mod that is good enough and free with SMF 2.0 . Nigabo used to offer a great mod but alerts + Like itself costs around $ 50.  Free like mod is not up to the mark when I tried and it won't give you alerts as well.

Yes, SMF 2.1 does have those features but it won't be stable for another 3 months. ElkArte has all of them inbuilt and comes with stock install. 

Reply #5

Quote from: gorbi – all this on the board SMF2.1. As a mod in 2.0. IMHO
The same is true for phpBB and MyBB.

I guess it's a matter of tastes.
Bugs creator.
Features destroyer.
Template killer.

Reply #6

SMF was well localized. Why there are few language files for ElkArte?

Reply #8

More active development. If you are on SMF right now, you probably won't notice much. In a year, you will probably wish you switched to Elkarte when your forum was smaller. It has a lot to do with the underlying code. It is easier for plugins to be built and for tests to be written which will lead to more plugins and less bugs.

Reply #9

Quote from: gorbi – SMF was well localized. Why there are few language files for ElkArte?
We use SMF's localized files as a base.. The problem is: lot's of strings have changed, many strings have been added due to the new features (likes, @mention, bad behaviour, posting by email....)
This is the current status:
https://www.transifex.com/projects/p/elkarte/
We'd be more than happy If you could help with the russian translation.
Thorsten "TE" Eurich
------------------------

Reply #11

I have been with SMF since 2006 and I have been making some modifications since then. However, I find that ElkArte has supersedes SMF in various aspects. As said by our friends above, do try it yourself.

I also do Malay localization for SMF, ElkArte and SimplePortal (and Indonesian for SP).

Reply #12

Quote from: gorbi – all this on the board SMF2.1. As a mod in 2.0. IMHO
there are some responsive templates for smf 2.0.x but the first mod you will install it will break the responsive template. I already tried
sorry for my bad english

Reply #13

To me it's just better in the backend that SMF.