Skip to main content
Topic: Global Moderator - should not moderate themselves.  (Read 3859 times) previous topic - next topic

Global Moderator - should not moderate themselves.

Created a user as a global moderator and made a post.
Another, non moderator user reported the post.
Admin logs in and warns the GM to a level of 38, now posts must be approved.
Global Moderator now makes a second post.
Non moderator member is able to see the unapproved post.

I also noticed that after the GM made the second post, the post was not in the yellow warning color background. The message about needing approval was displayed.

Perhaps when a Global Moderator is reported, that report should go to an Admin and the Moderator not see the report at all?

ETA: looks like the GM can also close the report. Not a good idea any of this as the GM appears to be immune from bad behaviour.
ETA: guests can also see the unapproved post.

ETA: change post title

Last Edit: July 04, 2014, 06:30:31 pm by Aggelos

Re: Global Moderator ... sort of immune

Reply #1

Not sure how to interpret this ... once the above GM attempts to dismiss the report, are all moderators no longer reportable?

Reply #2

Quote from: Aggelos – I also noticed that after the GM made the second post, the post was not in the yellow warning color background.
If the color is not there, it means the post was approved.

Moderators are by default able to approve messages. As such are able to approve their own messages.
Is not ideal, I agree.
Though implement it "the other way" may require some change.

I'd say more a feature request than a bug at the moment.

emanuele moves
Bugs creator.
Features destroyer.
Template killer.

Reply #3

No problemo.  If designed this way then not a bug.   :)

ETA:  I will make a feature request.

Last Edit: July 04, 2014, 06:32:08 pm by Aggelos

Re: Global Moderator - should not moderate themselves.

Reply #4

Quote from: Aggelos – ETA:  I will make a feature request.
I moved the topic to feature discussions, so it's already a sort of feature request. ;)
Bugs creator.
Features destroyer.
Template killer.

Reply #5

Quote from: emanuele –
Quote from: Aggelos – ETA:  I will make a feature request.
I moved the topic to feature discussions, so it's already a sort of feature request. ;)

I'd rather it not be a feature, or at least not be one by default. I've only had this particular issue once in the decade I've been running forums, and it was quickly resolved by removing the moderator. I would hate to think that mods should be crippled because of what someone did and what they could do. This is as much a human problem as it is a code one, and I for one would elect to resolve it the human way.

Maybe some admins would like this feature, and that's fine. I just don't think it's appropriate to treat moderators this way by default.

Reply #6

Quote from: Eliana Tamerin – Maybe some admins would like this feature, and that's fine. I just don't think it's appropriate to treat moderators this way by default.

Depends on the environement the forum is operating in. In a business environment where there is liability and possible loss of revenue and public image you want to manage all aspects of the environment.

A gamer forum then maybe not, who really cares if a mod goes nuts and shows preference to someone.

A forum that deals with hot topic items such as religion or politics, might be a good idea for the admins and owners to know that they may have a moderator that is not behaving appropriately.

As to it being an always 'on' feature. I agree it should be a settable feature for Admins or owners to uses if they feel the need.  It is about choices really; the more choices and the better the choices are, the more adoptable ElkArte will be.

Last Edit: July 05, 2014, 09:58:34 pm by Aggelos

Reply #7

Quote from: Aggelos –
Quote from: Eliana Tamerin – Maybe some admins would like this feature, and that's fine. I just don't think it's appropriate to treat moderators this way by default.

Depends on the environement the forum is operating in. In a business environment where there is liability and possible loss of revenue and public image you want to manage all aspects of the environment.

A gamer forum then maybe not, who really cares if a mod goes nuts and shows preference to someone.

A forum that deals with hot topic items such as religion or politics, might be a good idea for the admins and owners to know that they may have a moderator that is not behaving appropriately.

As to it being an always 'on' feature. I agree it should be a settable feature for Admins or owners to uses if they feel the need.  It is about choices really; the more choices and the better the choices are, the more adoptable ElkArte will be.

Yes, I believe I said as much in fewer words.

Reply #8

Quote from: Eliana Tamerin –
Quote from: Aggelos –

As to it being an always 'on' feature. I agree it should be a settable feature for Admins or owners to uses if they feel the need.  It is about choices really; the more choices and the better the choices are, the more adoptable ElkArte will be.

Yes, I believe I said as much in fewer words.

Actually, you did not. Please get over yourself.

Reply #9

Aggelos, what seems to be the problem? You get on Eliana's case here when she points out you guys are saying the same thing, then on another user in the other topic about this. Just because someone states their opinion that differs from you, doesn't mean you need to get on their case. Take a deep breath and relax. We all want our own little forum software the way we want it. You both said this could be a feature that can be enabled or disabled. That's pretty much an agreement if you ask me. lol
Success is not the result of spontaneous combustion, you must set yourself on fire!

Reply #10

In both cases ... it is the attitude that came with the comments.  I do not care if someone disagrees with a suggestion .. I care how they disagree with the suggestion.

The fact that someone has unswerving belief in their moderators does not necessitate a snide or negative comment about the validity of a feature request made by someone else.

Rest assured .... I have made my last feature suggestion and that I have no hurt feelings with anyone here or anywhere.  My apologies to any that were offended.  

Moving on.