Skip to main content
Topic: Membergroup Bug (Read 3654 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Membergroup Bug

Reply #15

Quote from: Spuds – ... it may not be obvious what "power" you are assigning when you check that box.
So could be dangerous if it was not was you intended.  Maybe a warning that any member groups with this permission can assign any member on the forum to any of the listed groups.

This is very true.  Admin with less experience (like me :P) might be facing this problem and be shocked when his members claim to have access to admin and mods menu. First action, blame ElkArte for not being as good as its sources. Then, argh... why don't we have warning there question. Etc, etc.

Quote from: Spuds – The problem is, I think at least, is that the permissions system other than Admin and maybe Global Moderator, does not really know what groups are "powerful" since an Admin can create a Membergroup called Noobs and assign it as an admin, the system does not really know that Noobs is greater than regular members or even global moderator. 

Permission system is only a creation that can be redefined. I believe it is already set not to include an admin in the list. Which means, it already says, anybody without admin permission though he can change his or anybody's  group, he will not see admin group at all so he cannot upgrade to it.

But then as Spuds noted, can a group named Noobs with admin power be assignable with this permission? I haven't tested it. If yes, it is a flaw. If no, then, admin have to be cautioned while assigning this permission.

One more thing, the menu. It is a disturbance to know that admin menu appear (not just mod menu but admin and mod menu). That will question the menu construction whether it is useful to consider re-separate them.

Still, why not upgrade this permission or simply remove this permission? We already can appoint membergroup moderator and they can approve any group request. I think, at this point, nobody need to directly assist to change user membergroup unless they are an admin since it is more an admin power.

Its usefulness and constant usages may need to checked and evauated as well. If it is a very rarely used function, removing it should be fine.

So, I suggest, remove this (easier work?) or upgrade it as suggested (more tedious work?). This can be later readded via addon etc.