Skip to main content
Topic: StopForumSpam (Read 9955 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: StopForumSpam

Reply #15

It's not the same add-on, this topic is related to this add-on https://github.com/KeiroD/SFS
sorry for my bad english

Reply #17

I should search the forums before just looking at the add on site, it’s as described the threshold for how confident you are the person is a spammer.

My mod just out right rejects them if it’s met, frenzies will register them but require admin approval. Not sure what’s best, mine met my needs so just published that.

Reply #18

@tino It's partially my fault for writing things that are functional but never quite getting around to wrapping them up and/or submitting them to the add-on site. ;)

That being said, in this particular case it was also about waiting for Elk 1.1 to finalize before wrapping it up. I know,, I know it's been released a little while ago… ^_^

QuoteMy mod just out right rejects them if it’s met, frenzies will register them but require admin approval. Not sure what’s best, mine met my needs so just published that.
A reasonably important part of the mod is also contributing back to the SFS DB. Both in the form of extra e-mail addresses/spammer nicks and submitting spammers that somehow slipped through the cracks.

Anyway, as I wrote in my README "The first and best defense against spam available in Elkarte is to enable Bad Behavior coupled with the Project Honey Pot http:BL. […] Stop Spammer jumps in when a spammer manages to get past this enormously effective line of defense by checking their registration attempt against the Stop Forum Spam database. Only malicious bots that try to spam either through posts or profiles will do this in the first place, so enabling Bad Behavior is quite important." If you do that the amount of spammers trying to register drops to a mere trickle of what it would otherwise be, besides all the bandwidth/CPU savings.

If you disable http:BL for a week or two while you enable Stop Spammer then you can quickly get in hundreds of submissions on the Stop Forum Spam website. I actually did that as an experiment a couple of years ago and I ranked up thousands in mere weeks. I then turned http:BL back on because I had my fun and properly stress tested the system. For normal use you just want to have it there without even thinking about it. I seem to have disappeared from the list since, weird. Maybe it's an only in the last few months kind of thing.

Reply #19

Yeh, I was going to extend mine to have a drop down on the member page to report someone as a spammer.

Either way, was playing with how to do that with just hooks. I found one of most actions tbf, it’s easier to code with out changes to the core. I don’t want to step on your toes though so happy to remove my mod.

Reply #20

To be clear, anything non-hook is not a feature. But at the same time I don't really know what you're talking about considering this is the full extent of modifications.

Reply #21

Quote from: Frenzie – To be clear, anything non-hook is not a feature. But at the same time I don't really know what you're talking about considering this is the full extent of modifications.

Sorry, wasn’t referring to your mod. Was just expressing I was trying to do mine with just modifications.

Either way, If you would prefer me to remove mine im happy with doing that.

Reply #22

I would prefer if yours didn't exist but not in some hurt pride kind of way, just that I think the duplicate effort is a pity. :)

You want to team up? I don't really have time to work on it atm and I'm happy giving you write access to the repo or some such, although of course we should communicate through PRs in that case.

The other way around would work too, but note that my repo has a decade of history in it.

Reply #23

Hey guys, don't argue! :o
I think both addons are good and should stay. Frenzie's is more extensive, but Tino's is enough for me (and maybe for others) until further notice, as I've had little trouble with spammers. So, Tino, please don't remove your addon!

Quote from: Frenzie – That being said, in this particular case it was also about waiting for Elk 1.1 to finalize before wrapping it up. I know,, I know it's been released a little while ago… ^_^
@Frenzie : Are you going to continue working on your addon soon?
ElkArte version: 1.1.8 / Theme: BeSocial / PHP 8.0

Reply #24

@tino @Mrs. Chaos I certainly don't want anything to be deleted! Tone can be hard on the Internet sometimes, my apologies if I messed it up. :)

I would personally prefer a bundled effort toward one add-on rather than duplicated effort, which would most logically mean deprecating the other add-on but of course that's entirely up to @tino. Stop Spammer is nearly feature complete so it probably shouldn't be too hard to tell whether the overall intent lines up. I'd like to emphasize that I'm wide open to changing the particular way a feature is implemented in code, as well as how it's presented. It's not like this thing is set in stone.

I don't think there are any real issues with my add-on at this point in time, besides the one that was fixed recently, so I'll just submit it to the add-on site as is. It's just missing one feature that I still wanted to implement and that's about it. (Checking a member from their profile.)

Reply #25

Quote from: Frenzie – It's just missing one feature that I still wanted to implement and that's about it. (Checking a member from their profile.)

That's the one feature my next commit was going to add.

@Frenzie @Mrs. Chaos

I didn't take anything as offensive, was trying not to stand on others toes!

I've had a look at your code @Frenzie and tbh I don't know what half of it is there for or doing, large parts of commented out code don't help that mind!

I'll push my commit for the member search to my code over the weekend, and also do a pull request against your's @Frenzie.

Reply #26

Instead of starting from scratch I converted this from an SMF add-on (with permission). Not necessarily because it's easier but because it already covers the use cases and potential issues that cropped up over the years. That's where the commented out code comes from. Most of it pending deletion, some of it still to convert. Conversion meaning switching from source mods to hooks which was mostly fairly painless thanks to Elk.

But just pretend the comments aren't there (except where they might be relevant as an aid). :P

tl;dr anything between comments is SMF code that hasn't been adapted. It's primarily relevant as a roadmap, to some extent possibly as inspiration.

Anyway, like I said the reverse would work too as in copying bits and pieces from Stop Spammer.  It's already Elk compatible, obviously. ;) What I personally like about the historical approach though is that it dates back a long time and I took a special effort to capture and tag that in Git.

Reply #27

Quote from: Frenzie – But just pretend the comments aren't there (except where they might be relevant as an aid). :P

We all have our own ways of working, none are necessarily the wrong or right approach. I don't store commented out code, thats what Git or SVN is for if I need to refer back I just do it to a commit by looking at the logs.

I was more referring to this https://github.com/Frenzie/elk-stop-spammer/blob/master/sources/StopSpammer.controller.php

I looked at it and couldn't work out what it was doing related to the mod. I need to install it when I get the chance to work it out most likely.

Reply #28

I don't like commented out code around too much either for the most part, but I don't think this is really the referring back kind of situation. :) You'd have to mentally reparse it each and every time, whereas in this form the template is ready. The SMF backend is reasonably similar to Elk and I could've easily converted it badly by simply slightly adjusting the source mods, but to a large extent there was no real match up to the hooks.

A rewrite would've probably been easier and you would get nice clean commits without even trying but it was a conscious choice to do a conversion, as a bit of a fun challenge as well as to retain the wisdom that was hopefully accrued in the old code through the years. I think the only wrong "choice" I made was underestimating that a couple of days (or rather a couple of afternoons) wouldn't be enough time to finish it, and I had no idea just how busy February/March/April/June were going to be.

Anyway, that code is obviously doing nothing at all. :P Unfortunately because I was rather busy last year I completely forgot what I wanted to do with it. Some kind of custom template for something… I'd have to look into it. Now that one should've probably gone into a separate branch.