Skip to main content
Topic: Recycle bin (Read 6866 times) previous topic - next topic

Recycle bin

Okay, this comes half from a topic started by Arantor and half from previous discussions with Groovystar (WCRPG) and from my own personal hatred towards the recycle bin (RC) and its general workflow flaws.

Arantor proposed several mixes (I'm not going to explain them because it doesn't matter at the moment).
What I'd like to push now is:
1) no more RC,
2) messages deleted from a topic shown aggregated into a "parallel" topic (e.g. ?topic=1;deleted or something like that),
3) topics deleted from a board...same (e.g. ?board=1;deleted),
4) 2 and 3 accessible (to those with appropriate permissions) from a link at the beginning of the topic/board or whatever,
5) (optional) a way to show the deleted messages "in context" into the original topic (optional because from time to time it may be necessary (for example in case of very long topics), but is usually faster to see all the deleted messages in one place, at least for me).

I don't like to have placeholders for deleted messages in the normal flow of the discussion (yeah, even if it removes part of the context), but at the same time I find stupid not to know where messages deleted from a topic are gone (i.e. I have to search the RC to find something that should be easily accessible if I need it), and also the "privacy" implication of the RC.

Anyone against or with different view of the thing?
Bugs creator.
Features destroyer.
Template killer.

Re: Recycle bin

Reply #1

mhh, not sure if I'd go that route.. Just a feeling but "parallel topic" could be overcomplicated..

Idea: give the messages a new attribute "is_deleted" and leave them in the topic. Hide them by default and add an interface option to "show deleted messages" (depending on a permission) .. Something similar to the unapproved messages / topics. Maybe with a placeholder / indicator inside the topic about the deleted message.
Thorsten "TE" Eurich
------------------------

Reply #2

As well as keeping them in the topic and having a filter to hide them, the log that it was deleted should be available in the topic (as an option)

Reply #3

Quote from: TE – Idea: give the messages a new attribute "is_deleted" and leave them in the topic. Hide them by default and add an interface option to "show deleted messages" (depending on a permission) .. Something similar to the unapproved messages / topics. Maybe with a placeholder / indicator inside the topic about the deleted message.

I really like this idea!

Reply #4

So, what happens if you delete an entire topic? Does every table that relates to that topic have an is_deleted field? That would require topics, messages, attachments, polls, events, and probably some other stuff as well. It's fine if it is, but we have to look and make sure every table is accounted for.

Reply #5

What TE described is pretty much what I described, just shown only in the last way I described. :P
Anyway, I think my idea at the time was: you mark the message/s and the topics as "deleted", anything else inherit from there.
Bugs creator.
Features destroyer.
Template killer.

Reply #6

Would there be a means of permanent deletion?  It may not be necessary, but I do like cleaning out the Recycle from time to time.  Just a housekeeping thing.  :)

Reply #7

What TE said is how xf is handling deleted messages, to be honest I prefer the smf way with a recycle bin, but does not have any matter to me ;)
sorry for my bad english

Reply #8

Quote from: emanuele – 1) no more RC,
2) messages deleted from a topic shown aggregated into a "parallel" topic (e.g. ?topic=1;deleted or something like that),
3) topics deleted from a board...same (e.g. ?board=1;deleted),
4) 2 and 3 accessible (to those with appropriate permissions) from a link at the beginning of the topic/board or whatever,
5) (optional) a way to show the deleted messages "in context" into the original topic (optional because from time to time it may be necessary (for example in case of very long topics), but is usually faster to see all the deleted messages in one place, at least for me).

I don't like to have placeholders for deleted messages in the normal flow of the discussion (yeah, even if it removes part of the context), but at the same time I find stupid not to know where messages deleted from a topic are gone (i.e. I have to search the RC to find something that should be easily accessible if I need it), and also the "privacy" implication of the RC.

Anyone against or with different view of the thing?
My nickel comment and experience is that having a bit bucket/garbage bin/recycle bin is helpful for moving posts that should never be deleted due to legality issues driven by the nature of the post.  On other sites I use the offending post is removed from the board, no trail is left of its previous presence and it is moved to the bit bucket for eternity...or until some admin decides to delete it.

I agree that leaving a place holder stating something like 'post moved by admin' is unnecessary and breaks the flow and look of the thread. Simply move the offending post and let its memory quickly erode from the members minds.