Skip to main content
Topic: Maintenance Mode - Linktree (Read 2574 times) previous topic - next topic

Maintenance Mode - Linktree

Mostly curious as to why the linktree is shown on the Maintenance Mode screen (not logged in) when ElkArte is in Maintenance Mode.  A bit odd (to me) that the navigate section and linktree are shown when both really do nothing.

Re: Maintenance Mode - Linktree

Reply #1

Good point.
The linktree should be easy to ditch.

With the navigate section you mean the menu at the top?

I was noticing another odd thing about the maintenance mode as well. In particular, even if you are logged in you get the message "log in as admin" with a user name and password. This is another odd thing I think. I'm not even sure if the log in works with a different account.
Bugs creator.
Features destroyer.
Template killer.

Reply #2

Regarding the navigate section, really just saying the linktree and its background strip. In CSS it is the navigate_section, as I recall.

The menu_nav that have the buttons is interesting though. Not really sure that they need to be there as when in Maintenance Mode the buttons and menu items are essentially non-functional and produce no action. They could stay or go depending on the look one wanted for the Maintenance Mode display.

I did notice that when in Maintenance Mode the Quick Login on every page option is honored. Not sure if when in Maintenance Mode the Quick Login needs to be shown along with the Admin Login. Boils down to look and feel I suppose.

I do like the News window being there as it gives the Admin a bigger area to convey updated status messages to the membership while the site is in Maintenance Mode. Again though, that is sort of look and feel but Admins probably would get less emails when sites are down if they had this area to convey messages in.

I don't see the 'login as admin' part you are speaking of. There is the Warning strip that reminds the Admin that on Admin type accounts can login.

Reply #3

See the attachment.

If you are logged in as normal user and the forum is in maintenance mode, you are presented with a login screen.
And you can't log in because you already are.
Bugs creator.
Features destroyer.
Template killer.

Reply #4

Had not noticed that. So, if a non admin member is logged in and the Admin tosses the forum into Maintenance Mode the member stays logged in but sees the screen you have posted? Going to have to try that.

ETA:  Just tried the above. If the site is put into Maint. Mode then the next time the user performs an action on the site they are taken to the Maint. Mode screen. Their session appears to still be active until they select logout from the profile button. One would think that on throwing a site into Maintenance Mode, all sessions other than the Admin session would be terminated and users taken to the Maint. Mode screen.

Of course, I suppose it would be nice if member posts and PM's that are being composed were saved prior to booting them out. Might be a bit much to do though.
Last Edit: June 28, 2014, 08:35:38 am by Aggelos

Reply #5

Whatever you do with maintenance mode, it should require the least amount of resources to accomplish. Maybe during maintenance mode, we include an additional cookie to flag if they are an admin. Then we check for the cookie. If it is there, it checks the login cookie. I'd think that is the majority of queries during maintenance mode. Probably another topic though.