Skip to main content
Topic: integrate_remove_message (Read 2334 times) previous topic - next topic

integrate_remove_message

Code: [Select]
call_integration_hook('integrate_remove_message', array($message));
At the moment is run only if the recycle is not enabled.

Though in certain cases it may be quite useful to run code even if the message is just moved to the bin.
I was thinking to suggest to move the hook outside the if and then add another parameter, though it may be necessary to do something more (e.g. some new hook where the recycle is used, both adding or reverting), or something else.

What do you think?
Bugs creator.
Features destroyer.
Template killer.

Re: integrate_remove_message

Reply #1

I like it. (Though there must be a lot of hooks out there that I don't know :) )

Reply #2

I'd say move it, that can be useful and it should not be tied to the recycle bin (solely)

Reply #3

And now I'm starting again thinking I don't like the recycle bin... xD
Bugs creator.
Features destroyer.
Template killer.

Reply #4

You mean in general or just the crazy way its implemented :P

Reply #5

Both? O:-)

As usual I can't decide what I like.
On one side I would prefer to keep the messages "there" (I mean in the database) and just add a field "deleted" to filter them with a query. But I guess this may not be too good for the query itself in certain specific cases (i.e a topic with many messages removed).
Another option would be to completely remove these messages/topics from the messages table, keep all the details intact and just "move" them out or in.
Both possibilities would have the advantage of not requiring new topics and a specific board.

Then there is the "visualization aspect". Mainly two problems here.
  • All messages are all together in a big board. This is a pain.
  • There is no "direct" connection between the original topic and the deleted messages (if I'm in a discussion I have no idea where exactly the deleted message is, it may be in the first page of the recycle bin or in the last or anywhere else, and if I'm looking at a deleted message I have no idea what was the original context of that message).

The last problem could be fixed more or less easily with some hackish link somewhere in the deleted topic, it would be a bit odd in the original topic, but it could work as well.
Bugs creator.
Features destroyer.
Template killer.

Reply #6

I don't think there is a real need for recycle bin too (and I don't the philosophy behind it too lol). You can always move old topics to a created recycle board on your own and locked the board for further reply.

Reply #7

It's not that I think the RB is useless, I myself use it, though I find the way is implemented not very useful.
Bugs creator.
Features destroyer.
Template killer.

Reply #8

I didn't say that it is useless either, just that I have no real need for it.