Skip to main content
Topic: What does everyone do for a living? (Read 7382 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: What does everyone do for a living?

Reply #15

Quote from: emanuele – If memory serves me right I started les fleurs du mal and Vingt mille lieues sous les mers. xD
Well, that's your problem right there. :P

Baudelaire I haven't read (yet), but just because something was banned doesn't mean it's particularly exciting.

Jules Verne I have read (albeit in Dutch, like 20 years ago) and although it's perfectly enjoyable he can be a bit of a bore at times.

So what would I recommend? Well, just whatever looks interesting to you, but I'd really recommend to go with classics like Spirou and Astérix, and of course more modern stuff like Le chat du rabbin. It really doesn't matter much what you read in the beginning, as long as you're reading. As far as classic stuff goes, Micromégas (Voltaire) is pretty decent.

Quote from: Jorin – For me it sounds like #!!$?$*W$!#HA##!?T?!#$!!##$?!?
There are plenty of French works that are simply part of the world literary canon. Nothing wrong with reading 'em in translation. ;)

Reply #16

Quote from: Frenzie – Baudelaire I haven't read (yet), but just because something was banned doesn't mean it's particularly exciting.
Was it banned?
I started reading it just because it sounded funny... or maybe because I was looking for another author and got it wrong. xD

Quote from: Frenzie – Jules Verne I have read (albeit in Dutch, like 20 years ago) and although it's perfectly enjoyable he can be a bit of a bore at times.
That one I started because I like sci-fi and thought it could be a nice reading... because I never read it before. lol

Yeah, I don't put too much thinking in my readings, I just pick by the sound of the title or the name of the author. :P
Bugs creator.
Features destroyer.
Template killer.

Reply #18

Quote from: emanuele –
Quote from: Frenzie – Baudelaire I haven't read (yet), but just because something was banned doesn't mean it's particularly exciting.
Was it banned?
I started reading it just because it sounded funny... or maybe because I was looking for another author and got it wrong. xD
lol, Madame Bovary (Flaubert) and Les fleurs du mal are pretty well known for being against public decency and yada yada yada. But Flaubert was acquitted and Baudelaire got fined. I imagine Madame Bovary probably makes for a better reading experience, although I'm not the biggest fan of realism.[1] If you want to read one of the most boring books on the planet, try Middlemarch by George Eliot.
I suspect it might be decent, because Flaubert himself said he despised most of the humongously boring imitations of his style.

Reply #19

emanuele is not very fond on boring stuff. :P
Bugs creator.
Features destroyer.
Template killer.

Reply #20

Mostly Web Development. Some system administration.