Skip to main content
Topic: Cannot login or logout (Read 6197 times) previous topic - next topic

Cannot login or logout

Hi, I moved my forum to another hosting (from shared hosting to VPS) now I cannot login or logout. There is a message "
Session verification failed. Please try logging out and back in again, and then try again."

Any suggestions?

Edit:
I cannot access the admin page because of the same error.

Re: Cannot login or logout

Reply #1

Have you try to rename your cookies? Somebody could have eaten it. ;)

Reply #2

I would try first disabling any accelerator enabled (just edit Settings.php and make sure $cache_accelerator is empty: '').
Also rename cookies doesn't hurt.

If that doesn't solve, you may try changing the setting (at the moment I don't remember the name, I'll tell you once I am in front of a computer :P) to use database driven sessions.
Bugs creator.
Features destroyer.
Template killer.

Reply #3

Quote from: ahrasis – Have you try to rename your cookies? Somebody could have eaten it. ;)
How do I change it?

I deleted the cookies on my browser (Firefox), trying to login and it failed with the same error.
Quote from: emanuele – I would try first disabling any accelerator enabled (just edit Settings.php and make sure $cache_accelerator is empty: '').
Also rename cookies doesn't hurt.

If that doesn't solve, you may try changing the setting (at the moment I don't remember the name, I'll tell you once I am in front of a computer :P) to use database driven sessions.

Okay, I will report it later.

Thanks!
192.MY.ID: Forum ISP Indonesia.

Reply #4

Cookies. Find it in Admin CP > Configuration > Server Settings > Cookies & Sessions. Change cookies name there. Below is database driven session. Tick to enable.

Reply #5

Quote from: ahrasis – Cookies. Find it in Admin CP > Configuration > Server Settings > Cookies & Sessions. Change cookies name there. Below is database driven session. Tick to enable.

Welp :( I cannot use the admin page, it will ask for password and then the same error showed up. I changed the cookies name manually via Settings.php, is this the same thing? The result is nothing fixed. Haha...

While changing the cookies I found that the absolute path need to be modified to the new folder structure and still not fixed.

Maybe clean install?

Thanks!

Reply #6

Quote from: kucing – While changing the cookies I found that the absolute path need to be modified to the new folder structure and still not fixed.

Maybe clean install?
Not really necessary, just fix the paths in Settings.php: you can replace the old ones with the new. ;)
And then do the same in the themes admin page (if you want in one of the repos, I can point you to the correct one) there is a "repair_settings.php", though it may or may not work at the moment, it has to be tested, and test it in your "emergency" situation is not ideal... :-\
Bugs creator.
Features destroyer.
Template killer.

Reply #7

The fix is using admin page? :( I cannot use it because of the same error.

Reply #8

The themes paths are not causing that problem (probably part of the other), so, when you will be able to log in then you can fix the theme paths. ;)
Bugs creator.
Features destroyer.
Template killer.

Reply #9

Quote from: emanuele – The themes paths are not causing that problem (probably part of the other), so, when you will be able to log in then you can fix the theme paths. ;)
Already fixed absolute path in Settings.php and now I don't know what should I do next to try to fix it. Feels like I bite more than I can chew. Haha :D

Reply #10

hmm... know basically nothing about nginx, so let's try guessing a bit.
Can you install apache and see if with that works?
That would allow to discover if nginx has anything to do with the problem. ;)
Bugs creator.
Features destroyer.
Template killer.

Reply #11

Let's also do this: @Spuds do you know if nginx can interact with sessions and make them unhappy?

Also @kucing can you check via phpMyAdmin the table elkarte_log_errors if there is something that can be related to the sessions issue?
Bugs creator.
Features destroyer.
Template killer.

Reply #12

I've used nginx (good choice) on several sites and not had any session errors due to something it was doing.

You should check your nginx access log for the site as well as the php error log to see if an error is being generated.  Most issues with Nginx tend to be with permissions.

As already said, if you are using APC make sure you set the cache engine to '' as a test.  We had a problem with APC and sessions but that should be fixed (and if you are using php 5.5+ you should not be using APC as the op-cache anyway)

Reply #13

Thanks for the instruction Spuds!  I already disabled caching by modifying settings.php but it still won't work. I will focus to fix this problem first.

Reply #14

Hi everyone, I succeeded to fix it. It's because of nginx pagespeed module. I turned it off and now I can login or logout. :D

Sorry it took a long time, I just fixed it now. Haha..