Skip to main content
Topic: Portal... let's talk about it (Read 7094 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Portal... let's talk about it

Reply #15

I guess there is already a news feeder in ACP. Simply create a blog with interesting / recommended features and pull the feed from it.

Reply #16

Quote from: bh.kristiansen – A little more on the CSS bit..I can certainly understand the need for a big stylesheet - if the templates are quite unique you want total control, every little bit put into the stylesheet. But who does that help, really? Not the themer, they are too afraid to change anything beyond what they "know". Not the user..they don't look at it anyway(but they do feel it when having to dl the 100k+ file on their mobiles ;) ) ..so I guess..the dev? So its really more a question of having a good base: the templates themselves. If theya re simple enough, the basic CSS can be simple, and custom themes would be the ones to be complex. Not the other way around.
I perfectly agree (if I understood you correctly), you see that most of my proof of concept (I feel ashamed call them themes lol) are very, very, very minimalistic, without much styling.
From day 1 I say that for the default theme the best way would be what wordpress does: a basic, almost empty, well structured, boilerplate, and nothing else.
Unfortunately, at the moment, even a simple empty theme requires quite a bit of code, just because of the many slightly different templates we have to deal with, so the very first thing to do is clean them up. Not a quick and easy task, it's in the process, it will take a while.

That doesn't really mean we have to use the default theme here, of course. :P
Bugs creator.
Features destroyer.
Template killer.

Reply #17

In the past (especially after SMF went open source), the SimplePortal Team has considered offering a bundled SMF+SP installation for its users. We discovered a couple problems with this:

1. Users don't seem to understand that the bundled portal is a mod that can be added after the fact, so the users who unwittingly choose the base SMF version or otherwise don't opt for the bundle feel as though they have been left out. This can lead to forum destruction (removed forum to install bundled version), complaints, and general FUD.

2. Intrinsically linking SMF and SP also comes with the consequence of linking their bugs. There have been a few instances where a problem reported at SP.net is actually an SMF bug or problem. We can help a little bit with these support issues, but at some point they have to be turned over to SMF. With such a small team at SP, it's impossible to truly support any SMF bugs, and by linking the two we are granting the perception that we are responsible for both software problems. This may not hold as true for Elkarte, since it would be the opposite, but it would additionally require Elkarte devs/support members to be familiar with SP as well as Elk, or to simply overwork @Spuds.

I would seriously recommend that Elkarte not offer bundled installs. Either the portal is fully integrated or the portal is featured among 'popular mods' or such things in the Elk admin CP.

Reply #18

Quote from: Joshua Dickerson – What features in SP would you want to see in Elkarte? I think that's the best place to start considering it.
one is this http://www.elkarte.net/community/index.php?topic=2387.0

And also the pages, a category for pages would be great with the possibility to list pages from categories. But maybe this is something that usually cms does
sorry for my bad english